26. New beginings

(A/N) Hey everyone, welcome back! This chapter is a little bit longer than my usual chapters but I think you are really going to like it <3

TW: Slight mention of abuse, this may be uncomfortable for some readers, although it is very minimal and only implied.

I hope you enjoy this and don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoy and follow my account if you want to be notified when I post announcements <3

~~~~~

"Wake up" A hushed voice whispered lowly as I began to stir, shaking my shoulders and disrupting my slumber.

I could only groan in response, screwing my eyes shut immediately after they began to flutter open, not wanting to expose myself to the harsh morning sun that would soon be attacking my senses, before I turned to burrow my head into my pillows to evade the streams of crisp winter light.

"Merry Christmas" The husky voice spoke again, it's croaky morning tone laced with childlike excitement that they seemed to be doing a poor job of concealing.

I let my eyes open slowly in an attempt to avoid the abruptness of the harsh winter sun, as it spilled in through the icy glazed windows, beginning to peak above the horizon, the December sunrise casting hues of warming scarlett and violent amber across the room.

"Dad?" I asked groggily, violently rubbing the sleep from my eyes, my vision still not quite settled and my brain continuing to adjust to my surroundings.

"Merry Christmas Poppet" Remus repeated, launching himself onto my bed and tackling me into a bone crushing embrace, effortlessly cocooning the duvet around me securely and scoping me into his arms, wrapped in the heavy bedding, just like he used to do when I was a little girl, and held me into his chest.

"Merry Christmas Dad" I whispered into his warm body, immediately familiarised with the scent of freshly brewed breakfast tea, as he stood up off the bed and started to carry me out the door and down the stairs.

I screwed my eyes together tightly, not wanting to focus on anything other than the feel of Remus holding me as though I was no more than nine years old again, and life was seemingly simpler, and just for a moment, I left myself pretend nothing had changed, and in fact that girl of a mere nine years old was still me, unbeknown to what the future held, and perfectly content with that.

My back made sudden contact with the largest sofa in the den, causing me to release a small yelp as Remus carefully dropped me and I came crashing down into reality, and despite its imperfections, it was a reality I would make the most of, because I knew this wouldn't last forever.

"Merry Christmas Lupin" George shouted, tackling me onto the sofa just as I began to stand, playfully attacking my head with purposefully slobbery kisses, halting slightly as I began to protest but ultimately ignoring my objections and continuing until we were both doubled over laughing and tears began streaming down both our checks.

I got up on the sofa and made my way around the room, wishing everyone a merry Christmas and exchanging warming hugs, careful not to kiss Fred good morning as Remus watched us intently.

Although just before I slipped into the kitchen to greet Molly and Bill, who were both absent from the den, I noticed a figure lingering around the back of the room, keeping to himself and unengaged with the rest of the group.

"Sirius?" I whispered, looking over at him with an innocent smile, catching his reserved expression.

"Merry Christmas puppy" He croaked back shyly, in the most unlike Sirius Black manner I was sure anyone had ever seen, offering a gentle shrug as he failed to mask the embarrassment that radiated off his very being.