19. The ball of 1978

March 4th 1978

"Remus would you relax" Lily spoke in a tone that was not in the least bit consoling, attempting to rationalise the situation.

"She's right Moony, stressing isn't going to change anything" James agreed, coming to sit down on the bed beside me, placing his arms around my torso and allowing my head to drop onto his shoulder, so he could comfortingly tossle with my untamed hair.

"But, a ball? Like a party? You know that isn't my scene. Why would Mcgonagall announce a spring ball? And what about Sirius? Oh Merlin, do I have to ask him to be my date?" I rambled, the panic rising and my heart beating painfully fast, my breathing uncontrolled and ragged.

"Rem, it's ok" Lily whispered, coming to sit the other side of me as she began tenderly rubbing the small of my back, quietly humming as James continued to play with my hair, more for his own enjoyment than my own.

It was at times like these that I was grateful for James and Lily, extremely grateful, in fact I would never know just how much I needed them until it was too late.

They were those friends that acted like complete morons, a dynamic duo that you could never seem to trust alone together in a room, they were the loudest at parties, Sirius excluded, and the most idiotic, again Sirius excluded. And despite thier countless stupid and reckless decisons over the years, they still landed themselves the 'mum and dad' role of the group.

Until they were drunk that was, and then suddenly I became designated parent for the evening.

"Look Moony, sure this is out of your comfort zone a little, but you and Sirius have been 'unofficially dating' for two months, you should ask him, besides it's not like he's going to say no. It will be a laugh, me and Lils, you and Pads, Marlene and Dorcus, and Maybe Peter will ask Mary?" James assured, clapping my shoulder and shaking me slightly, his cheeky and sinful smirk too hard to deny.

"Fine, fine, I'll ask him, I'll ask Sirius" I sighed in a defeated tone, throwing my hands up in surrender although chuckling slightly as James and Lily both let out childlike squeals, like toddlers being let loose in a sweet shop.

"You'll ask Sirius what?" A sudden voice making itself known, a gravely and gruff sound I knew all too well, causing James, Lily and I to jump slightly.

"Fucking hell Sirius, how long have you been standing there?" I questioned, my hand placed firmly on my heart to try and relax its sudden and violent beating.

"I literally just got here, I got distracted in the corridor talking to Dorcus" Sirius confirmed, throwing himself on the bed behind me playfully, and placing a gentle and featherlight kiss upon a fresh, although healing, wound where my neck met my collarbone.

I blushed slightly, a burning scarlett creeping onto my cheeks, before turning to greet him, pulling him into a gentle embrace and taking a moment to inhale that sickeningly sweet concoction of cigarettes and honey.

"So, tell Sirius what?" He repeated, looking into my eyes deeply and making my lower lip quiver slightly.

"Huh?" I asked, feigning confusion.

"You just said 'I'll ask Sirius'" He confirmed, and I struggled desperately to devise a plausible excuse on the spot.

"Did I?" I chuckled nervously, scratching the back of my neck and glancing over to Lily and James for support.

"Moony don't play around, what do you want to ask me?" Sirius questioned sternly, the frustration and concern rising in his tone.

"I uh, I was thinking, uh maybe, perhaps, only if you want to, uh-" I fumbled on every syllable, each word becoming less and less coherent as I spoke.