thirty-two

"I should go check on Chanyeol before we plan anything," I say as I begin to leave the room, hoping to god that Beomgyul hasn't spilled any information he wasn't supposed to spill.

"You brought an outsider here?" Yoongi asks, his body jolting up from his seat.

I put my hand on his chest and push him backwards, causing him to fall back into the seat he was in seconds prior. "You're not in charge here, I am. Or did you forget?"

"What if he's dangerous?" Yoongi yells, still staying in his spot as I walk out of the room.

I stop. "You really think one person could be more dangerous than a room filled with mobsters?" I chuckle. "If I left him there, he would be at risk of death. Just keep your mouth shut and let me do my job."

As I walk into the conference room, I see Chanyeol's body sprawled out on the long table in the center of the room, Beomgyul still sitting in the same spot, his books and papers in the places I saw them last.

"How goes it?" I ask with a smile as I sit down at the head of the table, my spot.

"We finished everything, so now I'm just quizzing him on random things," Beomgyul says as he types a few things on his keyboard and then looks up at me. "What's up with you?"

A chilling silence falls over the room, Beomgyu and I stare at each other, Chanyeol continues to lay on the table staring at the ceiling. I could explain everything here in front of both of them and have Chanyeol either find out everything too soon or have him ask so many questions so I have to tell him everything.

"Can I talk to you in private?" I say as I make prolonged eye contact with him.

He nods and we both stand up from our seats, Chanyeol not even bothering to move from his spot on the table. I grab Beomgyu by the wrist and lead him into the boss's office, well, I guess it's my office.

The room hasn't been touched in ages, a thin layer of dust forming on the surface of every piece of furniture in the large room. Books lay sprawled out on the floor, papers scattered across the large dark oak desk in the middle of the room, the red chair behind it turned to face the back wall.

"When was the last time anyone saw Seojoon?" I ask as I walk further into the office and begin to pick through the things on his desk.

"Is that the reason you brought me in here?" Beomgyu asks, his neck turned slightly to look at me as I stand on the far side of the room.

"No," I spit back as I shuffle through the drawers of the large desk. "Everything has dust on it, like it hasn't been touched in weeks."

The room falls silent, a running theme in any conversation I've had since arriving here, the sound of me flipping pages piercing through the silent atmosphere.

"Now that you say it," Beomgyu says, causing me to look up at him. "I haven't seen Seojoon since the day he told us you were the one in charge. Once he left the room, he disappeared."

I stand up straight and look over at him, my eyebrows relaxing and raising ever so slightly from their previously furrowed state. "Beomgyu," I whisper, the tone of my voice causing him to walk over to me and stand on the other side of the desk. "We're all in danger."

"Do you think Seojoon was kidnapped?" He whispers back, his body leaning forward ever so slightly, his hands resting on the dusty surface of the desk.

"Some man showed up at my bakery today," my head falls and I let it hang there for a few moments, not wanting to say everything to him like I had to say to everyone else. I lift my head again and take a deep breath. "I think we may be being targeted by another mob, or an enemy at least."

"Please," he jumps. "I can't be a part of this, I need to keep my family safe."

"He gave me a file with everyone in it," Beomgyu lets out an unsettling sigh as I speak. "No, don't worry. Your information wasn't in the file."

His shoulders fall slightly like a weight has been lifted off of his shoulders.

"I just need you to stay here with Chanyeol and distract him while me and a few others take care of this."