forty

The impact from the vehicle speeding towards us sends me flying backwards. The car I'm in shoots backwards and spins on the road before it crashes into a tree. The car that hit me, however, doesn't continue to race towards me, the driver doesn't even pay attention to me in the car once I've been hit.

I lay there, my ears ringing, my body tense and aching from the things that occurred moments before. I take a deep breath and cough before trying to move my arms. It's difficult, but I manage to work through the pain and get back to my sad attempt at removing my seatbelt. Once again, I'm unsuccessful.

As I sit in the car, I hear screams coming from the distance -- men arguing back and forth with each other with no means to end their fighting. The screams fade into the background and I close my eyes, accepting that these will be my last moments. I may be spending my last moments in pain, covered in blood, and stuck in a car, but that doesn't mean I didn't live a good life.

I take a deep breath and pause, I don't move a single muscle, something is wrong but I can't put my finger on it.

"What--" I say to myself as I take another deep breath. That's when it hits me, the familiar smell filling the air that tickles my nostrils in a far too nostalgic way, the sweet smell that I enjoy far too much.

I jolt my body and open my eyes, trying to find a way to get the seat belt to unclip before I die in the one way I would not wish upon my worst enemy.

"Please," I whisper into the cold air as my eyes fill with tears. "I can't die like this."

The passenger door whips open and I spin around in a panic only to see Daehyun standing there, the look of fear flooding his eyes. I feel relieved that he's there, but I can't be too thankful just yet.

"Are you okay?" He asks, his body frozen as he looks over my injuries.

"I'm fine," I say as I turn back to try to work with the seat belt again.

"Is there anything I can do?"

"Help me get this off," my voice cracks as I speak. "The car is leaking gas."

The sweet smell of gasoline continues to fill my nostrils and it only gets stronger the longer we sit around and struggle with the belt. I lay back in the seat and bite my lip, not having any clue of what to do now.

"Close your eyes," Daehyung says as he leans inside of the car. His hand slides down his hip before taking his gun out of his holster. "Please."

I comply with his words and close my eyes. His hand comes up to cup the left side of my face, his hand acting as a shield but also as a kind gesture. Daehyun hesitates for a second before he takes a breath and fires his pistol. The impact from the bullet breaks the buckle and I chuckle thankfully before throwing the strap off of myself.

"Can you walk?" Daehyun asks.

I shrug and look into his eyes. "I don't know."

Without saying another word, Daehyun scoops me out of the car and throws me over his shoulder before running away from the vehicle. As we run away, I look up to see that the vehicle is already on fire, small flames spread underneath the tank that will only spread in due time.

Thank god he got me out in time.