nineteen

The next day at work, I'm sitting at the meeting table with my laptop when the rest of the group begin to gather around. Beomgyu sits beside me and peers at the paperwork stacked neatly beside me. He shrugs it off before Seojoon walks into the room and sits down at the end of the table.

The moment Seojoon sits down, I close my file and my laptop and turn to him, giving him my undivided attention.

"Today's gonna be a slow day," he speaks, his loud voice booming through the room. "I guess you can do what you were doing yesterday."

Seojoon dismisses the meeting and we all begin to leave the table. Beomgyu stays beside me as I pack my things into my bookbag.

"Meet me in the training room," I say as I stand up with my bag and proceed to head to my room. Inside this mansion, there was enough space for the necessities of the mob itself, and there were way too many rooms left over, so we all got our own.

When I walk into the training room, I notice Beomgyu standing in front of the target with knives in his hand, throwing them one by one and sighing in defeat every time he misses.

As silently as I can, I walk over to the knives on the wall and grab one before walking behind him and throwing the knife past him. The knife lands in the target and Beomgyu jumps.

"Holy fu-" Beomgyu turns around quickly and sees me smiling at him. "Hyuntae! What are you-"

"Today's lesson is on stealth," I say with a smile as I hand him a bag. He opens the bag and pulls out all black clothing. "Let's call it a uniform. Everyone has to wear only black on missions unless told otherwise. Today is basically a mission."

"What do we do?" He asks as he continues to pull clothes out of the bag.

"You go change into that," I'm already wearing all black, "and then meet me in the hallway behind the meeting room," he begins to walk away but I stop him. "The one with the electrical boxes."

-----

As I sit and wait in the hallway, I shoot Seojoon a text to make sure he's still okay with the lesson I have planned. His response is a reminder that he's not my boss and he can't control what I do. I shrug before putting my phone on silent and shoving it back into my pocket.

A few moments later, Beomgyu arrives dressed in all black.

"What's the lesson, teach?" He crouches beside me on the floor.

"Yesterday, I asked Kimoon to keep something in his room for me," I whisper. "I told him no one was allowed to take it, not even myself. I have no idea where he hid it. Our mission is to find it and retrieve it."

"How do we get in?"

"I'm gonna shut the power off to his room and the hallways, nowhere else. From the side of the building that his room is on, we have thirty seconds to get there before the power surges cut off, and then ten minutes from the moment he leaves to the moment he gets back. If this mission fails within those eleven minutes, you fail this section of training."

"No pressure at all," he mumbles.

"Ready?"

He nods.

"The moment I flip the switch, start moving to his room, but stay in the hallway beside his door, he won't need to pass through it and he won't look in it," I put my finger on the breaker. "Trust me."

Beomgyu nods. "I do trust you."

"Take this flashlight."

Within seconds, I flip the breaker and quickly begin running around the corner and to the hallway beside Kimoon's room, Beomgyu following quickly in tow.

Within mere seconds of arriving at the hallway, Kimoon releases an extremely audible grunt before storming out of his room and walking right past us. I snicker to myself before standing up and walking around the corner and into his room.

"Ten minutes, maknae," I whisper as I close the door behind us and begin to look through the drawers in Kimoon's desk. "Make it count."