forty-five

"Wake up, you stupid bitch," a sharp blow to my stomach causes me to lose my breath, and I squint my eyes open to see nothing but feet in front of me; everything is sideways.

Lifting my head off of the concrete, I try to take a moment to take in my surroundings, but the enemy doesn't like the idea of that.

"Finally," the man in front of me spits before he points his finger at me and snaps.

Before I know it, a man is suddenly at my side. He leans over to accommodate for the fact that I'm laying on the ground and scoops me up, my weight being no match for his strength. The man flips me upright and places me on my knees before stepping away from me. I try to move my hands, my legs, something, but they're all tied behind my back. I'm completely helpless.

I look up and search around for my colleagues and I find them all to my right. The looks on their faces all say the same thing. They all share the same look of distress. The look they all share is my fault. I put them through the pain of thinking I was dead so I could think of another plan. I messed it up. I didn't get the chance to think of a good plan, just ended up getting caught.

I glance over at them, and they all stare at me in disbelief. I press my lips together and mouth the words I'm sorry at them before my gaze is moved away from them, a sharp pain following after.

"Don't look at them," he growls, a person in which I still do not know the name of, nor do I know who he works for. He gets close to me, his hand making hard contact with my cheek, this is what changes my gaze to his direction.

I look up at him through furrowed brows and spit on his boots, a smug smile forming on my face after I do so.

"Don't look at me," he speaks, anger strewn through his voice. He brings his hand up again and curls it into a fist before swinging it and making a hard impact with the side of my face.

I hang my head down and look at the ground, pain shooting through the left side of my face. A pool of metallic tasting liquid pools in my mouth and I spit it onto the ground underneath me, the puddle shining a dark red colour underneath the lighting from the car headlights in front of me.

A silence falls over the group, no one says a single thing. There is not a single sound to be heard among us, just the light wind blowing through the trees.

"You have no idea what you're doing, do you?" I chuckle as I look up at the man in front of me. I hold eye contact with him, not once breaking it as a way to intimidate him.

"What the fuck did you just say to me?" He spits as he takes a step towards me.

"Oh, save it," I chuckle. "You're just trying to intimidate me and it's not working. You don't have a single clue of what you're doing. And don't even think I haven't seen your boss sitting in the car this whole time like a coward."