thirty-eight

"Does everyone have everything?" I ask with almost no emotion as I throw my bag into the back of the van. I don't leave time for a response, just mumble an angry okay before getting into the van and plopping myself down in my seat. I wait silently in the passenger seat for everyone to get in so we can leave.

Daehyung gets in the driver's seat and turns to look at me, a smile spread across his face. A kind gesture of which I do not return. I stay where I am, looking straight ahead, one leg crossed over the other, my head resting on the window.

"Everyone's here," Kimoon says as he gets into the backseat and closes the door before tapping the back of Daehyun's seat to tell him that he can start driving.

The van starts moving smoothly down the dirt road leading to our headquarters, everyone remaining silent as we take off down the silent road surrounded by nothing but trees and plants. I've never seen someone drive down this road, not once, other than the people that drive down this road to get to the headquarters, I haven't seen a single soul come this far into the woods.

"Hyuntae, can you type the address into the GPS?" Daehyun asks in a calm tone as he grabs his phone from the dashboard and hands it to me, not once taking his eyes off of the road.

I don't respond, I just grab his phone from his hand and type the address into the GPS app before placing it back in the holster attached to the dashboard. I slump back in my seat and watch the road, the long stretches of black asphalt mixed with dirt seeming to go on for ages as we drive to the location.

"This drive is such a bore," Yoongi mumbles from the backseat, surely trying to start some sort of banter with me.

"Mm-hmm," I mumble, blinking slowly as I speak. I can already tell that I'm gonna regret assigning Yoongi to this job, more so than I already regret it at this moment. Sure, we aren't exactly fond of each other, but he can at least stop trying to get into my head while we're supposed to be focusing on a mission.

"Do you see that?" I ask as I sit up quickly, my eyes laser-focused on something on the road ahead of us.

"See what," Daehyun responds quickly.

I focus on the ray of light shining through the trees ahead of us, slowly rounding the corner in our direction. I furrow my brows at the glowing thing moving through the woods, but what could it be? Someone could have gone on a hike and gotten lost, that could be it, sure. But, then it clicks.

"Headlights," I say as I place my hand on my gun sitting snugly in its holster placed around my thigh.

"I thought no one drove down these roads," Yoongi says briefly, his words followed by aggressive shuffling in the back seat.

"No one does," I respond quickly before tapping the dashboard three times in a rhythmic tone, a signal Daehyun and I agreed on ages ago to tell him to slow down. "Stay alert, be ready for anything."

Daehyun lets off of the gas and the car begins to move slowly down the street.

"Cut the lights," I whisper, to which Daehyun obliges within only milliseconds of the demand. The roads in front of us fall dark - pitch black. Nothing can be seen, nothing can see us, we just watch the lights as we continue to slowly move down the road at a turtle-like pace.

"What do we do?" Yoongi whispers.

"You're so new at this," Jaesuk chuckles quietly. "Just hope they can't see us and they go away, but keep your gun ready, just in case."