eleven

As Chanyeol and I stand at the front, I give him a quick run-through on how to work the cash register, as well as showing him where the bags and boxes are, for he has only ever worked in the kitchen. Now, he has to do everything.

"Do you understand?" I ask as I look at Chanyeol while raising my eyebrow.

He nods.

"Good, now put this on," I hand him a name tag with his name on it and the words in training underneath.

"Why?"

"If people know you're in training, more like assume, they won't get as mad if you take a long time doing something."

Gently, I pat his back before smiling and turning away, walking into the kitchen to prepare more things for later in the day. As today is one of our busiest days because of the elementary school kids having the day off of school, we need to make sure that all of the baked goods are doubled and make sure that we have our sales on to make extra profit.

A few minutes after opening the store, I hear the bell above the door ring and I look through the window in the kitchen to see a mother and her two kids walking into the bakery. The kids run frantically to the display cases and begin to look at all of their options.

"Mommy!" The daughter calls, and the mother is soon standing beside her small frame peering through the glass. "Look at these pretty cake pops."

"They are pretty," the mother responds, a gentle smile tugging on her lips as she kneels beside her daughter. "How about you ask the nice man behind the counter how much they are."

The little girl walks away from the display case, her eyes still glued to the cake pops behind the glass. I can see the love in her eyes as she walks away, not wanting to leave the shop without a cake pop.

"Sir," she smiles as she stands on her tiptoes to look over the counter at Chanyeol. "How much are the cake pops?"

Chanyeol smiles kindly at the little girl and her mother, the son still wandering the shop looking for something that he wants. "Usually they are one dollar each," he leans a little closer and lowers his voice into a slight whisper. "But today they are fifty cents each."

The little girl lights up at the news and spins around to face her mother with a wide smile on her face. "Can I get some?"

"Of course you can," the mother smiles. "We'll take five cake pops."

She then turns to her son and walks towards him, wondering what he wants to get from the bakery.

"Mommy, can I get some brownies?" The little boy asks as he continues to stare through the glass and at the platter of brownies. He turns his head a little to the left before speaking again but in a much quieter tone. "Do I want cookies or brownies?"

"You can get both," the mother responds before turning back toward Chanyeol. "Five brownies and two dozen cookies please."

Chanyeol smiles and nods before walking around the counter and grabbing some boxes. He slides the display case doors open and grabs the designated number of each item before placing them into their boxes.

He kindly says the price and the woman pulls her wallet from her pocket before handing the money to Chanyeol in exact change. After he sorts the money and distributes it into the cash register, he slides the boxes across the counter with a smile on his face.

"Thank you," the woman smiles, her children doing the same as they thank him.

"Have a nice day," Chanyeol speaks as he watches the small family leave the bakery, the door closing silently behind them.

Immediately, the door opens again, and the bell rings through the building, alerting the both of us of the presence of a new customer. The moment I see who the customer is, I duck behind the window and leave myself hidden behind the wall separating the kitchen from the rest of the bakery, allowing me to only hear the conversation that would soon take place.

"Hello, Yoongi," Chanyeol greets with a slight pitch his tone. I can tell just by how he's speaking to him, he wants Yoongi to be here. I swear if he tries to pull anything, I will throw hands.

"Good morning, Chanyeol," Yoongi responds with a monotonous tone, sounding much less enthused than the last time I spoke with him. "Is Hyuntae here?"

My heart begins to pound in my chest. If Taehyung knows something about me, then it's a given that Yoongi knows the same thing he does. I need to keep a close eye on every employee in that place.

I take a deep breath before standing back up and adjusting my apron before walking out to the front of the bakery.

"Hello, Yoongi," I greet kindly as I brush off my apron gently. "How are you?"

"I'm just peachy," he responds, once again in that monotonous tone of his. "How are you?"

"Better than usual, now that Chanyeol works here now," I smile at Chanyeol gently and shake my head a little. He stares at me for a minute before nodding and disappearing into the kitchen, leaving me and Yoongi alone in the unbusy front of the store. I turn back to Yoongi and smile gently at him. "How can I help you, Yoongi?"

"Taehyung insisted that I come over," he sighs before pulling a folded piece of paper from his pocket. "He wanted me to do two things while I was here."

"Alright," I respond as calmly as I can, trying not to show how much stress this is causing me.

"I need to place an order, quite a large one, for that matter," he unfolds the paper and slides it across the counter. "If it's possible to get it by tomorrow or the day after, that would be perfect."

"Tomorrow sounds like it can be done," I say as I begin to type the list into the order forms on the business computer. "I'll print you a receipt and give it to you with the order. Will you be paying cash or debit?"

"Cash," he smiles gently. "The day of, I assume."

I nod before finishing up typing the order into the system and look up at him. "Anything else?

"Yes, actually," he straightens his posture slightly. "Taehyung wanted me to ask you if you wanted to go on a date with him."

Yoongi has nearly zero emotion to his voice, not even a pitch up to indicate that he's asking a question.

"Maybe he should ask me himself," I chuckle and turn toward the window to see Taehyung awkwardly peering into the building. "I knew he was there the whole time. He wasn't very discreet."