forty-four

"What the fuck was that?" A deep voice booms through the open air, a clear sense of anger in his tone. "Hyunki, answer me goddamnit!"

I lower myself into the bushes and watch through the trees as the enemy moves around and speaks to each other in a low tone. I can't hear a single word they're saying, but I know it's not good.

As I continue to watch, one of them pushes the other away and points into the treeline, his finger pointed nearly directly at me. I know he can't see me, it's far too dark. Right?

I don't take my eyes off of them. The man who pushed the other is who I assume to be their mob boss, the one who was pushed is most likely just someone the boss looks down to, definitely not a second in command.

The second man continues to walk into the trees, following the line in which the boss initially pointed. Which means he's walking in my direction, making a direct beeline towards me. I look at the ground below my feet for a second, making sure there is nothing that can make a loud noise as I begin to move and alert them of my location.

I know they couldn't see me, they heard the gunshot and just followed the sound. There's no way they can see me in the trees, especially in this darkness.

As I look up from making sure there is nothing I can step on to alert them of my whereabouts, I feel an unnerving presence, almost like there is someone standing behind me. I stand up slowly, straightening my posture, making sure there I'm safe before I continue to walk.

I take a deep breath and hear a light chuckle from behind me.

"Shit," I sigh as I clench my hand into a fist. If I go down now, I'm gonna go down fighting. If I go down now, at least I know that someone more fitting for the position than I am will be in charge.

With my hand still clenched into a fist, I spin around and swing at the man standing behind me. I hoped to have hit him in the face but, instead, I only land a solid blow to his chest. He's much taller than I expected. He's not the same man that was being pointed in my direction, which means I have to deal with this guy before the other one pops out from the shadows and I become outnumbered. I have no idea how much longer I have until he shows up.

I look up at the man in front of me and he looks down at me with a smug smile, knowing I had no idea how tall he would be, and I may not even be able to take him down, on my own. The least I can do is try.

I plant my feet firmly into the ground and clench my jaw before cocking my arm back and swinging at his face, which is almost out of my reach, but I manage to land a good punch into his jaw.

The man frowns at me, his eyebrows furrowing. Swiftly, he lunges towards me and grabs me in his arms, his grip tight around me, my arms locked to my sides in his grasp. He picks me up off the ground, using his height and strength differences to his advantage. He spins himself in a circle and knocks my head into a nearby tree.

Everything goes black.