thirty-nine

"Do you think they saw us yet?" Yoongi whispers from the back seat, his voice breaking the silence the rest of us have created.

"Be quiet," I angrily whisper back. "You can't talk when we're in dark mode like this."

"Dark mode," he chuckles, causing me to turn back and glare at him. He slouches. "I'm sorry."

We all sit and stare out the windshield, waiting to see what the people in the car do. Really, it could just be a car full of people trying to just explore the area, tourists maybe. On the other hand, it could be a car packed with the men we're supposed to be ambushing, but they beat us to it.

The car stays silent, allowing us to hear anything and everything that happens around us, allowing us to be alert. Though we may be vulnerable sitting in this car with no headlights, driving down the roads at such a slow pace that we're barely moving, we have the upper hand at hearing them sneak up on us, if they decided to do so.

The sound of the engine revving pierces my eardrums, the car ahead of us speeding up and hurdling in our direction with unnecessary speed. The driver of the car ahead of us cuts the lights to the vehicle, giving us no sign of how close they are to us, but they're moving fast, too fast for us to take any chances.

"Get out," I say as I reach for my seatbelt. "Now!"

Everyone unbuckles their seatbelts and I hear the door to the back of the van open and everyone shuffles out and onto the side of the road. Daehyun goes to climb into the back and get out, but he notices me struggling with my seatbelt.

"Do you need help?" He asks, rushing as our window of safety closes.

"It's stuck," I say as I fumble with the belt, my eyes watering as I become overwhelmed. "Get out, Daehyun, save yourself."

"Please, let me help you," he pleads, his voice cracking as he reaches his hand towards mine.

"Just go," I beg, tears beginning to stream down my cheeks.

Daehyun doesn't try to fight with me anymore, but he doesn't rush off immediately to go stand with the others. He cups his hands around my face and pulls my head up, his eyes looking into mine for a brief moment before he presses his lips against mine, his thumbs stroking my cheeks as he pulls away.

We nod at each other.

"Don't die," he says before he crawls into the backseat, the door closing behind him as he leaps out of the van.

I chuckle before turning my body back to face the front of the vehicle, the sounds of the vehicle rolling across the road becoming louder by the second as it gets closer to me. I take a deep breath and relax my body, if I stay relaxed, the impact of the vehicle coming at me with full speed will only cause minor injuries, more so than if I was tensed up and expecting the hit.

"I'll try my best," I whisper, my eyes closing, my mind easing as I think of the sweet release of death.

If I die, I die happy.

If I die, I know Chanyeol will be safe.