Prologue- Just a Pair of Redheads and a Slimeball

A slight breeze blew through the branches of the oak trees as the sweet smell of summer filled the air. The sun was high in the sky and its rays shone down on the field below, illuminating the three children sprinting through the heather and disturbing the golden waves.

"C'mon Sev," a girl with deep red hair urged, a mischievous smile blooming across her lips. "Don't be such a twat."

The girl beside her was also a redhead, although her hair was a few shades lighter. Her emerald gaze was mortified as she reached over and swatted the girl on the arm. "Eve, language!"

The boy, Severus, looked rather annoyed, his dark eyes flashing at Eve as he stood to approach a rather rickety-looking swingset. The paint had mostly peeled off the wood, but the initials L.E., S.S., and E.S. could be seen scrawled across the top bar.

"Yes!" Eve pumped her fist into the air. Her pale skin was marred by scars and freckles, each fading into the other. She turned to face the girl with the emerald glare. "Relax, Lils, he won't hurt himself.." she paused, a grin taunting the corners of her lips. "Too badly."

The girls watched in anticipation as Severus sat in the swing, pumping his legs until he was soaring through the air. His black shirt was oversized and streamed out behind him as, with a final close of his eyes, the boy jumped. He flew gracefully with the wind, travelling abnormally far across the field before landing at the girls' feet.

Eve burst into applause. "I knew you could do it!"

Lily grabbed Severus's hand, pulling him over to examine his face for injuries. "You could have killed yourself!"

"Ah," Eve sent a knowing look at the two as Severus didn't pull away from her touch. "But he got what he wanted, Lily."

At this, Lily and Severus quickly moved away from each other, although the dark-haired boy did so more hesitantly. Eve shot Lily a sour look as she looked down in shame, her cheeks a deep pink.

Severus looked at the sky, where the sun was beginning to sink behind the clouds. "We better go. Hogwarts tomorrow."

Eve shook her head, toeing at the dirt with her shoe. "I can't believe it's already your third year."

Lily groaned, tossing her crimson tresses behind her back indignantly. "And Potter and his band of toerags still won't leave me alone."

Severus flinched and Eve rolled her eyes. "Honestly, Lils, the way you go on about them you would think you liked them all." She raised an eyebrow. "How about that Sirius bloke?"

"Git." Severus was stiff as he grabbed Eve's arm insistently. "Come on, Evelyn. Mum wants us home."

"Using my full name now?" Eve shook her head, taunting her twin. "I'm so disappointed in your maturity."

Lily stifled a laugh as she followed the brother and sister back across the field, picking her way carefully through the undergrowth. "You two remind me never to have twins."

"Agreed!" Severus and Evelyn chorused together before glaring at each other. "Hey!"

"You know Eve," Lily looked at the other redhead with a hint of worry. "You could always come to Hogwarts."

There was a flash of longing in Eve's eyes, but she shook her head after a moment. "Someone's got to look after Mum." She looked down. "And I would put people in danger."

Severus uncomfortably reached over and gave her hand a quick squeeze in an attempt to make her smile. "Maybe one year."

Eve looked up, forcing a smile across her lips. "Besides, I have other friends besides you two, you know." She bounced up the hill towards their houses.

"Who?" Snape wrinkled his nose. "The other Black?"

"Regulus." Eve filled in the blank firmly, winking at her twin. "Is very nice."

"I still can't believe you met him in London," Lily shook her head, the sun setting her hair on fire. "What are the chances of meeting someone from school?"

"He took pity on Evelyn's disgusting flirting," Severus sneered, his face twisting into a grimace. "Pathetic."

Eve gave her brother a shove, causing him to nearly trip over a root and let out a few choice words. "He's a year younger than me!" She grinned. "You know older men are more my style." Seeing Lily cringe out of the corner of her eye, she laughed. "Maybe I'll steal Potter from you, Evans. Seeing as you can't stand him."

Lily smiled, shaking her head in amusement. "Be my guest."