Chapter 37- Potter Christmas Party

"I can't believe women actually torture themselves with such things," Fabian stared as Evelyn twirled her eyelashes over the mascara wand.

"Yeah, isn't there like a spell for that?" Gideon added, a look of disgust on his face.

Evelyn sighed, taking a step back from the mirror. "Sometimes I like to do things the Muggle way."

"You sound like Molly's hubby," Fabian looked up from where he had been reading the Daily Prophet. "Always rattling on about cars and rubber ducks."

Evelyn smiled at the thought of the kind redhead. Smoothing her dress nervously, she examined her reflection.

Her hair had been curled in soft tendrils (yes, Fabian had insisted she use a spell instead of the 'burning steel weapon') that danced across her shoulders, half of it pulled pack from her face. Dark blue fabric hugged her body gracefully, covering her skin tactfully and covering most of the scars. On her feet were a pair of silver flats, which sparkled cheerfully in the candlelight of her room.

"You could always wear heels," Gideon added thoughtfully, giving in approving nod.

Evelyn spun around indignantly, a teasing smile on her face. "And be taller than almost everyone there?" She shook her head with a laugh. "I don't think so."

Fabian shrugged, a mischievous gleam in his eye. "Except for Kingsley. He's always an option."

"Not bad," Evelyn examined her reflection one more time before turning away. "You know I have—"

"A disturbing obsession with Potter, yes we know." Gideon flicked her shoulder gently. "Hold tight."

Before she got a chance to respond, the twins locked their arms with hers and the three of them apparated onto the steps of the Potter mansion.

Evelyn's mouth fell open at the sight. Snow fell softly from the dark clouds above, framing the brick home. The windows glowed brightly with the yellow hue of candlelight as music spun down to greet them from the open doorway. Groups of wizards and witches chattered cheerfully as they bustled inside, eager to escape the cold.

"Well," Fabian winked at her. "When you move in with Potter, I call being brother-in-law."

Evelyn laughed, rolling her eyes at the ginger as she walked up the steps into the doorway.

"EVELYN!" Lily pulled her aside immediately, a wide grin on her face as she took in Evelyn's appearance. "You look gorgeous!"

"So do you!" Evelyn replied, waving her hand over the redhead's emerald dress. "Finally a Slytherin after all these years, eh?"

"Oh do stop trying to corrupt her," Sirius grabbed Lily's other arm firmly, pulling her away with a scandalized expression. "Evans, surely scarlet was the better choice?"

Evelyn grinned as she turned away from the bickering pair, admiring the ballroom. Framing by golden walls, the marble floor glimmered spectacularly under the light of countless lamps and fixtures. Couples were already beginning to dance, beaming at each other and they swayed from side to side. She smiled as she caught sight of Peter and Mary, who seemed lost in each other's eyes.

"Wormy's been a bit distant lately," Sirius commented, fluttering a hand in his face dramatically. "The pains love causes."

"Oh hush," Lily smacked his arm indignantly, her face nearly the colour of her hair. "You're just jealous."

"Hmm," Sirius turned to face Remus, who looked rather distracted. "Moons, you up for a spin?"

Remus shook his head, waving Sirius's arm away softly. "No thanks Padfoot."