Chapter 35- Patronus Pairs

Evelyn watched Pandora in admiration as a proud stallion pranced around her in circles. The patronus snorted, blowing the silver hair away from her face before making a small bow and fading into the air.

"That was.. incredible," Evelyn stepped forward, smiling widely at the Ravenclaw.

Pandora twirled her hair absently, her gaze clouding over. "I wonder if there is a spell that could make it talk."

"What?" Evelyn frowned, but quickly decided against asking further questions. She usually didn't understand Pandora's responses. She turned to observe the rest of the room, which was full of students desperately trying to find their happiest memory.

"It won't work," Colton gritted, his yellow scarf frayed as he leaned back with a sigh. "I quit."

"No," Evelyn shook her head, reaching up to adjust his arm positioning. The boy flinched away immediately, his gaze guarded. "Fine," she shrugged, trying to keep her tone even. "Ask James."

The Gryffindor looked up from his stag Patronus, the light from the animal reflecting in his glasses. Evelyn admired the way his hair fell over his forehead before turning away quickly, cursing herself under her breath.

"Why?" Colton challenged, taking a step closer to her direction. "Can't you do one?" His voice lowered to a growl. "Or are you too tainted for that?"

"That's rubbish and you know it," Evelyn snapped, feeling heat rise to her cheeks. "There are plenty of other students in this room that can show you."

She felt Sirius walk up to her side, a warning hand on her shoulder. "Back off, Davis." His grey eyes were stern.

"Whatever," Colton shrugged, stepping away to a group of Ravenclaws. "Just don't think you can trust her."

Evelyn stiffened, whipping around in the other direction and stalking over to Remus, who was gently coaching a third year.

"Colton again?" the boy looked at her in sympathy. "You can't let him get to you, he's just a fourth year."

"But what if it's true?" Evelyn raised her head, her dark eyes questioning. "Do you trust me Remus?"

There was a brief silence as Remus stood from where he had been kneeling on the stone floor. Crossing to her side quicky, he put a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Without a doubt."

Evelyn sighed, leaning into his side. "Thank you," she murmured, keeping her eye on Lily, who was watching her tiger stalk back and forth confidently.

Suddenly, she felt the temperature drop as a dark figure came hurtling in her direction. Extending it's scabbed hands, the Dementor's robes twisted in the air as Evelyn raised her wand, a wave of panic in her chest.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

A brilliant light burst from the tip of her wand, sending the creature flying backwards, flailing in the air. Evelyn panted as she lowered her wand, a strand of red hair falling across her forehead.

"COLTON!" Sirius's voice was deadly as he took a step towards Evelyn, his face pale. "You are never allowed to touch the Boggarts."

Evelyn didn't respond, unable to rip her eyes away from her Patronus.

The doe stood calmly, its head raised with pride as it surveyed the students in the room. A stab of fear hit Evelyn as she caught the heartbroken look on Lily's face and she waved her wand quickly, dismissing the animal.

There was a moment of silence and Evelyn didn't dare to look in James's direction, her face heating with shame.

"What's the big deal?" Colton scoffed, a smug expression on his face until he looked over at the Marauders. "It's a stupid deer."

"I have to go," Evelyn's voice was barely above a whisper as she turned away. "I'm sorry."

Hurrying down the corridor, she ignored Sirius's calls after her and tumbled up the stairs, locking herself in the broom cupboard that had once been her safe haven. Trembling, she ran her fingers through her hair in an attempt to ease the shaking. She couldn't hide from James anymore.