Chapter 11- Banters About A Ball

"EVE!" Lily looked at her fellow redhead with a scandalized expression. "You have to go!"

Evelyn shrugged, biting into an apple cheerfully, the juice running down her chin. "Not if I hide out in the dungeons. No one will miss me." She wiped the moisture off with the edge of her robes.

"What's that?" Sirius turned to look at the Slytherin with interest, always eager to witness a fight.

"Evelyn," Lily hissed her name as she stabbed a bit of potato. "Has decided to break the rules and not go to the ball!"

James's head snapped up. "You're not going?" He looked at Lily with a hopeful expression. "I mean, do you have a date?"

Lily looked surprised by his casual question, giving a curt nod. "Yes, I do."

"WHAT?"

Evelyn looked at James, who was just as surprised as she was. She turned to her friend. "When did this happen?"

"I'll tell you about it later," Lily had turned a pale pink and was suddenly very interested in her toast.

"Snape, you failed me," James groaned, his gaze accusing as he lost interest in his plate.

"I'm sure you'll find someone to go with, Potter," Evelyn sighed, taking a swing of pumpkin juice and savoring the sweet flavour.

"The better question is," Sirius raised an eyebrow, unbuttoning his collar. "Why are you not?"

Evelyn exchanged a look with Lily. The truth was she hadn't been asked and she motioned a cutting sign with her hand for the girl to stay quiet.

"Wait, no one has asked you, have they?" Sirius was cut off as Remus swatted him harshly on the back of the head with the Daily Prophet. Evelyn tried to force down the burning in her cheeks, stabbing a bit of waffle violently.

"What's going on here?" Fabian Prewett beamed down at the group, his blue gaze amused as it flickered over to Evelyn.

"Snake, here," Sirius looked smug as he leaned backward, using Peter as a backrest. "Has not been asked to the ball."

The ginger Gryffindor grinned before straightening his tie against his throat. "Well that can be fixed." He turned over to Evelyn, whose eyes widened in surprise. "What do you say, princess? You and me at the ball?"

Evelyn had to keep her mouth from falling open. "Oh!" She smiled, smoothing a hand through her hair nervously. "Of course."

"Excellent," Fabian shot her a wink as he turned back around towards the entrance of the Great Hall. "See you then."

Evelyn watched his retreating figure before turning to Sirius, whose smug expression had been wiped off his face. She raised an eyebrow sarcastically. "You were saying?"

"You're going to the ball with Fabian?" James held a look of disapproval. "He's a seventh year!"

Evelyn frowned, feeling a wave of annoyance as she stood from the table. "So?"

"So, you haven't even had your first kiss," James retorted, his ears pink.

The group went silent.

"Thank you, Potter," Evelyn gritted her teeth. "For reminding me why we shouldn't be friends."

She grabbed her bag and swung it over her shoulder, ignoring the pain that went up her arm and strode off angrily.

---

"You have no eyelashes."

Evelyn rolled her eyes at the sound of her brother's voice and turned from the doorway of the Slytherin Common Room. "Lily and I are getting ready together Sev, so pardon me for not wearing mascara."