Chapter 18- Flying Dangerously

Evelyn sighed as she spotted Regulus's head of dark hair disappear down the corridor. He had been avoiding her ever since classes had started last week. Whenever she entered the common room, he had to leave and when she tried to approach him in the halls, he conveniently turned the other way.

"Worried?" Lily shifted the pile of textbooks she held in her arms uncomfortably, her emerald gaze glowing with sympathy. "You have done all you could."

Evelyn ran a hand through her hair, tugging on the red strands in frustration, making her ponytail even more frizzy. "He is always hanging out with Avery. Even though Lucius graduated last year, it doesn't mean his horrid influence is gone."

"Do you think Regulus would really do it?" Lily ducked her head, leaning closer to Evelyn. "He never seemed to be the type to go that far."

"He just never would leave his parents," Evelyn sighed, stepping out onto the castle lawns and into the sunlight. "I'm afraid that in the end he couldn't say no."

"What's up, snake?" James jogged over, his eyes dancing with laughter. "You look like someone put toad eggs in your jam."

Evelyn stiffened, a look of suspicion and disgust spreading over her face. "You didn't."

"Of course not," Lily narrowed her eyes at the boy, shaking her head in disapproval. "He was on prefect duties with me all morning."

"That I was, Lilyflower," James wriggled his eyebrows suggestively. "You enjoy it?"

Lily smacked his shoulder with her books, her face turning pink. "STOP IT!" The redhead stuck out her tongue. "That's disgusting."

James shrugged, tossing a snitch lazily in the air. "You didn't seem to think so at the time."

Lily rolled her eyes before turning to Evelyn, a smirk spreading on her face. "Since you are obviously so bored you are starting to believe fantasies a reality, why don't you take Evelyn flying?"

Evelyn's eyes widened and she mouthed her disapproval at the girl, who simply smiled innocently.

"Sure!" James swung an arm around Evelyn's shoulders and she shrank back under his touch. "I could never say no to Quidditch."

"No way!" Evelyn backed up, holding her hands out in defense. "I just fly."

James snorted, grabbing her arm and dragging her towards the Quidditch pitch. Evelyn stumbled across the grass, shooting an embarrassed glare at Lily, who only waved her hand with a smug grin.

"Now," James stood from where he had unlocked the team brooms from the cupboard. "Reckon Sirius's could use a few scratches."

Evelyn caught the broom he tossed to her, biting her lip worriedly. "I don't think this is a good idea."

"That's what makes it fun," James winked at her, pulling the snitch from his pocket. "Now go find it."

Evelyn immediately mounted Sirius's broom as the boy released the golden ball, letting it disappear into the air. She kicked off the ground, quickly rising in height. Leaning towards the handle, she straightened herself against the mount and cut through the sky, zigzagging through the Quidditch posts.

"NOT BAD!" she heard James call. The boy had mounted his own broom and was hovering in the air a few feet below, examining her form critically. "RELEASE THE TENSION IN YOUR SHOULDERS!"

Evelyn rolled her eyes, muttering to herself in annoyance. Sports never seemed to come naturally, whether they be muggle or wizard. She and Severus and both agreed the world was better off if neither ever touched a ball.

Skimming the top of the stadium, Evelyn looked in every direction for the stupid golden ball, but the sun was bright and its light blinding. Holding a hand to her face, she looked down to see James fidgeting impatiently, obviously bored. A smirk spread across her face as she gripped the broom handle, urging it into flight. She would give him something to watch.

Angling the broom in an almost vertical position, Evelyn shot into the air, pressing against gravity. The sky was a smear of blue around her as she soared into the heavens, urging the broomstick up until she felt the air began to thin. Quickly, before the broom had time to lose momentum, she snapped around and hurdled back towards the Quidditch pitch at a high speed, the grass rising up to greet her at an alarming rate.

"EVELYN PULL UP!" James's yell was frightened.

A flash of gold caught Evelyn's eye as the snitch danced into view, seeming to want to race her to the ground. Normally, Evelyn would have pulled up by now and stopped her descent, but she was determined to catch the ball. Stretching out her hand, Evelyn leaned forward, straining to wrap her fingers around its golden form. All she could see was the green of the grass in front of her. In a last desperate effort, she hurled herself off the broom and grabbed the air blindly, preparing for impact. It never came.

Evelyn opened her eyes as she landed into a rather sturdy pair of arms. James sat on his broom, his eyes blazing with anger.

"WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?"

Evelyn cut him off as she grinned, raising her hand in the air. The Golden Snitch fluttered weakly in her clenched fist, recognizing its defeat. James was in shock as he stared at the ball, nearly dropping Evelyn again.

"I actually did it," she whispered. Turning to James, she threw her arms around his neck with a wild laugh. "I CAUGHT THE SNITCH!"

"And almost killed yourself," James's voice was muffled as her hair blew into his face.

"Sorry!" Evelyn stuffed the Snitch into the pocket of her robes as James glided to the ground. She gathered her hair back, twisting it into a messy bun.

James watched her, a slight frown on his face.

Evelyn raised an eyebrow in embarrassment. "I know my hair is a disaster."

James turned a faint pink as he looked away with a cough. "I like it."

A slow smile spread across Evelyn's face as she took in the Gryffindor's words. However, the moment was fleeting as Sirius's broom caught her eye from where it had collided with the ground.

There were several deep scratches along the handle as well as countless broken bristles and dirt stains obvious against the polished wood. Evelyn gulped, her face growing a bit pale.

"How painful will my death be?"

James followed her gaze, his eyes widening at the ravaged broom. "I'll prepare your coffin."