Chapter 27- Potter's Not a Complete Toerag, Lily

"No," Evelyn shook her head firmly. "Absolutely not. I will be fine."

"You can't just be alone," James pleaded, grabbing her hand stubbornly. "I refuse to let that happen."

"Remus does it every Full Moon too," Evelyn faltered at the guilty expression on Remus's face. She sat up from the floor of their dormitory with a frown. "Don't you?"

Sirius sighed from where he had been pulling apart his quill, ignoring his astronomy assignment. "Prongs, it's time you tell her."

Evelyn straightened immediately, suspicion twisting her features. "Tell me what?"

"We're Animagi." James ran a hand through his hair nervously as he held onto her hand. "You know, like transform into animals?"

There was a brief pause before Evelyn grinned, shaking her head. "Really funny." She halted, her eyes widening in shock. "You're serious. But you aren't even seventeen!" She pulled back to stare at James. "How long has this been going on?"

"Since fifth year," he replied sheepishly, looking at Remus. "We finally figured it out."

"Finally?" Evelyn leaned back, resting her head on his shoulder. "Wow."

James frowned, surprise evident on his face as he peered at her expression. "You aren't mad?"

"Mad?" Evelyn shook her head, smiling slightly. "Impressed, yes. Also, a bit jealous." She looked over at Remus in sympathy. "But I can understand why you waited to tell me."

Remus sighed, running a hand over his face. Full moon was tonight and his expression was already haggard. "It wasn't my idea, trust me. But these idiots," he glared at Sirius. "Insisted. Said they didn't want me to be alone."

"And we don't want you to be either," James looked at Evelyn seriously.

She bit her lip, eager to change the subject. "So what are your forms? Wait," she held up a hand, turning to Sirius. "Some kind of dog?"

The older Black grinned, before morphing into a black canine, barking playfully.

"That is so weird," Evelyn's eyes widened in accusation as she stood swiftly. "You were the stray following Reg and I in Hogsmeade!" She looked down, feeling a stab of pain.

Sirius transformed back, his expression dark. "You haven't talked to him, have you?"

Evelyn shook her head. "Haven't even seen him. Wormtail," She turned to Peter, who suddenly looked nervous. "You're a mouse?"

"Rat," the boy squeaked before transforming into a small rodent.

Evelyn stared in admiration before turning to James with a playful smile. "Hmm.. pigeon?"

James gasped, looking disgusted. "How could you insult me so?" With a dramatic spin, he was gone and a large stag had taken his place.

Evelyn covered her mouth in amazement, reaching out to touch his soft fur. She laughed at the antlers sprouting from his head. "Prongs, huh?"

James morphed back, winking at her arrogantly. "Impressed?"

"Slightly." Evelyn blushed from their close proximity, looking down.

James reached up, tilting her chin to face him. They were nearly the same height and Evelyn met his gaze steadily. "So, you're letting me come."

It wasn't a question, but Evelyn shook her head adamantly. "No," she pulled away, feeling a prick of tears. "I refuse to put anyone in danger. Besides, Remus needs you."

"Don't use me as an excuse," Remus snapped, before looking guilty. He sighed, tugging out a chocolate bar. "Just let him go, Eve."

"I can't!" Evelyn burst, turning and running out of the room, collapsing on the top of the stairs and wiping a tear from her cheek furiously. She felt James standing above her, having followed her out. "I just can't, James," she whispered.