Chapter 24- A Whirlwind Kiss

"Mr. Snape and Miss. Snape."

Evelyn looked up at Flitwick with a mortified expression. She hadn't talked to Severus in weeks.

"And no protests," Flitwick responded irritably, noting Evelyn's reluctance. "You should be thankful you're not with those two." He gestured at Sirius and James, who waved back merrily.

Evelyn snorted in amusement, gathering her books together before she made her way over to her brother, nearly tripping over Avery's outstretched foot. She shot him a glare.

"Sorry," the boy shrugged, a glint in his hair. "I didn't know I had to move for animals."

Evelyn rolled her eyes, biting back a retort. She slammed her books down next to Severus, who looked equally displeased to see her. "Shamed to have to be seen with your werewolf sister?" she snapped.

"Shut up and sit down." Severus shifted over a stack of parchment. "The less we say, the better."

"Seriously?" Evelyn stared at her twin in disgust. "That's it, after everything that's happened?"

Suddenly, she felt Severus's hand prod her in the side, pressing a note into her palm. Trying to keep her expression neutral, she slid the scrap into the pages of her textbook, pretending to examine the passage.

Keep up the show. They are watching. I'm on your side

Evelyn swallowed, folding up the parchment quickly and ripping it into shreds. She nodded slightly, indicating she had got the message before she took out her wand and began to read about defensive charms.

---

"What is all this about?" Evelyn breathed, scanning her brother's face for answers. She had finally managed to corner him in a classroom near Filch's office.

"You know how the Slytherins think," Severus rubbed a hand over his eyes warily, his hair still short from Evelyn's cut. "They constantly scheme about how to hurt you or punish you."

"And you don't want to get involved," Evelyn took a step back, anger lacing her tone.

"NO!" Severus inhaled through his nose, annoyance flickering in his eyes. "Why do you have to be so dramatic? I am saying that I'm trying to protect you."

Evelyn faltered, her eyes widening with surprise. "What?"

"If I can pretend to be on their side," Severus ran a hand through his hair, expression calculating. "Then I can learn their plans and warn you before it is too late."

"Oh." Evelyn looked down in shame, staring at her toes before managing a weak smile. "I'm sorry for acting like such a git."

"You always do," Severus rolled his eyes, but his tone had softened. "Now get back out there and act like we just had a huge row."

Evelyn grinned, hugging her brother briefly. "I love you Sev."

Knowing he wouldn't respond, she stepped back into the bustling hallway, pretending to shake with anger. "I REGRET EVER CUTTING YOUR HAIR!"

A few students turned their heads in her direction, but no one seemed to take her seriously.

"Evelyn?" James rounded the corner, confusion etching his face. "What are you going on about?"

"I do believe it's Snivellus's new do," Sirius predicted, running a hand through his long locks. "I must say, you did an impressive job Eve. Never thought the slimeball could be improved."

Evelyn rolled her eyes, opening her mouth to retort.

"I would back away, Potter." Daphne Greengrass stepped forward from where she stood with her friends; her brown hair curled to perfection. The Slytherin girl had never seemed to like Evelyn and hated her even more since she returned. "Don't want the mutt tainting you."

Evelyn stiffened, biting her cheek before turning away from the girl in an attempt to leave.

"Back off, Daphne," Sirius hissed, his eyes flashing as he took Evelyn's elbow. "No one asked you."

"I'm just trying to watch out for James," Daphne smiled sweetly, baring her white teeth. "I wouldn't be within ten feet of a halfbreed."

Evelyn forced herself to look at James, feeling a stab of sorrow at the uncertainty flaring in the Gryffindor's eyes. Lowering her head, she stepped away. "I need to go."

"NO!" the boy grabbed her arm desperately, conviction flaring in his gaze. He turned to Daphne with a scathing glare. "Then I wouldn't watch what comes next."

Before Evelyn knew what was happening, James had leaned forward and wrapped his hand around her cheek, pulling her lips onto his. He kissed her softly, his mouth soft against her own. Evelyn closed her eyes, pushing aside the lingering doubt and let herself sink into his embrace.