Chapter 6- First Detention

"I can't believe this," Evelyn complained as she and Regulus headed to the trophy room. "A whole night cleaning fancy cups with those idiots."

"It's not like we fancy it either," Sirius rounded the corner with James, a disgusted look on his face. "I already feel dirty."

"You're the one that's a bloodtraitor," Regulus glared at his brother as Sirius flinched slightly, stiffening his shoulders.

"Hey," James stepped forward, his voice low and angry.

"Come on," Evelyn tugged at Regulus's arm as she headed into the room. "The sooner we clean, the faster I can go to bed."

"You never sleep anyways," Regulus looked at her with amusement. "You're up all night."

"Whatever," Evelyn groaned as she took in the large stack of trophies. "We are going to be ancient by the time this is done." She looked over at Regulus, lowering her voice. "You really shouldn't call Sirius that."

"Are you kidding?" Regulus's eyes flashed in rage. "After all that he's done.."

"I know," Evelyn interrupted, placing a hand on his arm. "But still, you have to hold on to your siblings." She gazed at the Slytherin imploringly. "You have to set the example."

Regulus snorted. "He's the older one." Shrugging her off, he strode over and began wiping off the first cup.

Evelyn sighed, although she flushed red as she turned to see James and Sirius staring at her. They must have heard. Grabbing a bottle of solution, she scrubbed a layer of grime off the nearest trophy.

A few hours later, Sirius flung back his head with a groan, his hair still glowing a deep green. "I can't feel my hands."

Evelyn bit her lip, examining her own fingers, which were cracked and red. Faint scars could be seen when she flexed her knuckles and she looked away. Turning to the cup she was recently polishing; she cleared her throat. "This one is a special services award. Some Tom Riddle bloke."

"Sounds like a git," Sirius tossed his rag back carelessly, knocking down Regulus's stack of clean trophies. "Who wins something like that?"

"SERIOUSLY?" Regulus scrambled to his feet, his eyes blazing as the cups clattered to the stone, rolling across the floor merrily.

"I am Sirius," Sirius smirked, undoing his already loosened tie.

James laughed, offering his friend a fist punch. "Good one, Pads."

"It's no wonder the two of you became mates," Evelyn looked at the pair as Regulus muttered darkly to himself. She raised an eyebrow mischievously. "No one else could stand you."

"Shove off," James snapped, his hazel gaze annoyed. "What about you and him?" He jerked his head at Regulus. "Snake lovers from the start?"

"No," Evelyn rolled her eyes, trying to keep from throwing her cup at his face. "We became friends when I was twelve. I was in London and I saw him shopping with Walburga."

Sirius flinched, looking down at his cup moodily. "Bet you thought she was just brilliant."

Evelyn snorted, looking at Regulus. "She's one of the most horrid women I've met." She shot James a look. "And I've met you."

James rolled his eyes while Sirius raised his head, surprise evident in his face. "You don't like her?"

"No," Evelyn turned to Regulus with a grin. "Remember when we planted those Dungbombs in the alley? She was furious."

A small smile passed over Regulus's lips. "She's hated you ever since."

Sirius looked at the pair in bewilderment. "But Reg, you always said you wanted to make her proud."

Regulus turned away; his amusement gone. "Like you know anything about me." He grabbed his final cup and slammed it on the counter. "I'm done."

"Wait!" Sirius grabbed his brother's arm as he turned to leave, which Regulus shrugged off immediately. "Reg, I don't want.."

"You gave up any chance of us when you left," Regulus spat, his eyes narrowed. "Figured you already knew that."

The Slytherin turned on his heel and stormed out of the room. Evelyn watched him go with worry, taking a step forward to follow him.

"You're not done," Sirius stuck out his hand gruffly, staring at the floor. "And I'm not doing your job."

Evelyn grumbled and grabbed her rag once more. "Fine." She let out a sigh.

There was a pause.

"So, you two are close?"

Evelyn looked up at Sirius, but the Gryffindor refused to meet her eyes. "Yeah," she pondered her words carefully. "Sirius, why did you leave?"

At this, Sirius's head snapped up and he rubbed his shoulder uncomfortably, a lock of hair falling over his forehead.

"I know about your mother," Evelyn's voice was quiet.

James looked worried as Sirius's face grew pale. "Padfoot, you don't.."

"How much?" Sirius's expression was unreadable.

"That she threatens you," Evelyn's tone was soft as she shifted uncomfortably. "And worse." There was another pause. "You used to protect him before.."

"I HAD TO GO!" Sirius's knuckles clenched tightly. "You don't understand," a bead of sweat ran down his forehead. "She.. she would have killed me."

Evelyn's eyes widened in horror. She took a step forward hesitantly. "I- I don't think Reg knows that." She bit her lip. "One day you were there, and the next he was alone." She paused. "It didn't get any easier for him."

There was a heavy silence that fell over the trio as they finished their detention. By the time Evelyn finally left the room, her arms felt like lead.

"Wait!" she called to James and Sirius, who had already turned the opposite direction.

James spun to her with a wary expression, a trendil of green hair flopping over his glasses.

"Here," Evelyn pressed a piece of parchment into his hand, trying to ignore how soft his skin was. "This is the counter spell for your latest beauty trend."

James's eyes widened in surprise as he pocketed the slip and a smirk grew across his lips. "I'm too handsome for you now, huh Snape? In your snake colour."

"No," Evelyn tried to keep the blush off her cheeks. Her eyes grew solemn as she peeked at Sirius. "Keep an eye on him, will you?"

"Of course," James looked at her with a frown, pulling on his wrinkled collar. "You're not so bad, Snape."

Evelyn smiled, looking into his warm hazel gaze. "You sure?"

James shrugged as he turned around to follow Sirius. "Just don't think we won't have our revenge."

Evelyn went pale.