Chapter 50- Turning Tides

Evelyn panted as she landed behind a dense growth of bushes, hissing as her elbows scraped into the earth. Scrambling to her feet, Evelyn gasped as she saw her past self in a duel with Voldemort, using Severus's curse to injure him.

Raising his head, the wizard let out a laugh, his eyes widening in amusement. "Not bad, Evelyn." He smiled, revealing grey teeth. "But you do know I am immortal, don't you?" All humor erased from his expression, Voldemort raised his wand. "And now it's my turn."

Evelyn sprinted across the field as the dark wizard uttered the killing curse, throwing her body in front of James, who had already moved to stand in front of her past self. There was a brilliant flash of green light and Evelyn heard Lily's scream as she collapsed to the ground, not moving.

"EVELYN!" James fell to his knees, sinking into the dirt, his voice hoarse as he cupped her cheek desperately. "No."

There was a sound of rushed footsteps as Sirius ran to his friend's side, staring at Evelyn's body in shock. "Mate she was right behind you.."

"NO!" Bellatrix's cry split the air as the dark witch threw herself to the place where Voldemort had stood, clinging to his robes desperately. "MY LORD!" She whirled around to face Lily, who had rushed to Evelyn's side. "You will pay for this."

Severus stepped in front of Lily, his arm raised protectively over her chest. "Step down Bella." He whipped his wand harshly, sending a dark purple light into the woman's stomach and she collapsed.

"Nice one, Sev."

Everyone spun around to face the body on the ground. Evelyn grinned weakly as she sat up, rubbing her forehead with a painful wince. Her eyes met James and she let out a wild grin, throwing her arms around her husband with a sob. "YOU'RE ALIVE!"

"What.." James cut himself off as he pressed his lips against hers fiercely, pulling her neck closer to him.

"If you hadn't just come back from the dead, I might vomit," Sirius complained, grimacing as James and Evelyn continued to snog, tears coursing down both of their faces.

Evelyn broke away from her husband slightly, looking up just in time to see Lily tackle her to the ground. The redhead wrapped her arms around her shoulders tightly, refusing to let go.

"DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN!" she smacked Evelyn on the shoulder harshly, her eyes glistening with emotion. There was a pause as a frown etched over her features, confusion flaring in her gaze. "How are you still alive?"

"Wouldn't we all like to know?" Severus took a step forward and placed a gentle hand on Lily's shoulder, scanning Evelyn sternly.

She smiled, pulling at the chain around her robes and revealing the small charm dangling from the end.

Remus gasped as his eyes widened, beginning to connect the dots. "Is that.."

"A time turner." Severus confirmed, worry flashing in his gaze. "What did you do, Evelyn?"

Evelyn swallowed thickly, forcing down a wave of tears. "The.." she cut herself off, taking a deep breath as she reached over to take James's hand. "The first time he killed James." There was a heavy pause as she felt James's grip slacken, her husband pulling back in shock. Evelyn smiled weakly. "Because he sacrificed himself for me, the curse rebounded on Voldemort, destroying his human form. I begged Dumbledore for a way to bring James back, but he told me it was too dangerous to meddle with time. So, I snuck into the Ministry because I had heard of a room where all the time turners were stored." She flashed a grin at her friends. "You all helped me break in." She looked up at James, her face soaked with tears. "And I came back to make sure that you would be okay."

James lunged forward, holding her close to his chest and pressing a kiss to the top of her head. "I'm alright, Evie." His voice was choked.

Remus frowned as he collapsed on the grass, tossing his wand to the side. "That doesn't explain how you're still alive." His gaze flickered to Evelyn's neck. "Or the scar."

"What?" Evelyn raised a gloved hand to her throat worriedly, feeling a mark on her skin. It was the shape of a lightning bolt.

"I have an answer for that."

Sirius rolled his eyes as Severus straightened his robes, "of course you do."

"Be quiet for once and let me talk," the Slytherin snapped, pulling on his collar irritably. "If James sacrificed himself for Evelyn originally, he protected her from Voldemort being able to kill her." He grimaced unpleasantly. "Dumbledore calls it love magic."

"What would you know about that?" Sirius scoffed, pulling his hair out from its usual bun.

Severus gritted his teeth, seeming to summon all his patience. "That kind of magic survives all bounds, including time. So, when Evelyn jumped to take the Dark—Voldemort's curse, James's protection made the curse rebound once more and defeated his human body all over again, leaving her with the scar." He paused, his dark gaze growing cold. "But with his horcruxes, he will never be truly defeated."

"Then we're just going to have to find those." Peter looked determined as he tightened his grip on his wand, Remus squeezing his shoulder reassuringly.

Sirius stood, tightening the Gryffindor tie around his throat. "Voldy doesn't stand a chance."

Evelyn looked at her friends with pride, leaning into James's shoulder and pressing a gentle kiss to his neck. "I love you."

The darkhaired man gazed at her warmly, a smirk twisting up the corners of his lips. "I love you too, little Snape." He placed a hand on her stomach. "I told it was going to be a boy."

"As long as we don't have to name it James," Evelyn rolled her eyes, tugging on her husband's hair playfully. "You already have a horrendous ego." She raised a hand to her neck once more, feeling rather self-conscious. "You like scarred women, Potter?"

James grinned, sending her a flirtatious wink. "If it's on you, I say they're bloody hot."

"Do you know what disappoints me the most?" Sirius interrupted, a crestfallen expression on his face. "That I will never remember breaking into the Ministry."

Peter smiled, shaking his head gently. "That was on our bucket list, wasn't it?"

James stood as he offered Evelyn a hand, helping her to her feet. He gave a mischievous smile, his hazel eyes glimmering with excitement, "I think that can be arranged."

Evelyn opened her mouth to scold the man, but her fingers grazed a small box in the pocket of her robes and her lips curled together in a smirk. Turning to her brother, she tossed it in his direction. "I think Severus needs to ask you something, Lils."

Lily's eyes widened in realization and a blush bloomed across her freckled cheeks as she spun to face Severus, who had turned a deathly pale. He sent Evelyn a murderous glare.

"What?" Sirius looked between the two with a disgusted expression. "NO! NO WAY!" The man shook his head violently. "Evie, I want to use the time turner again.