Unexpected Visitor

I help my mother clear away the plates, glasses and cutlery after dinner as my father gets comfortable on the sofa, a western movie starting to play. I lean against the doorway, watching her scrub the plates before rinsing them under the hot tap, I hid the photographs in my room, I want to tell them about what's been going on... but I'm scared, scared of their reaction.

My mind travels back to the text message; the countdown is over. What does that mean? I remember the first text I got from Unknown Number was; the countdown begins, so does that mean he was counting down until my birthday? But why?

It all begins now, what begins? I don't understand, I'm scared, this is all too much for me, I don't know what to do. But somewhere deep inside me I have a feeling that something very bad is going to happen. 'Honey are you ok? You look a little pale' my mother's voice snaps me out of my train of thought, I look up at her, my lips parting.

'Yes, I'm fine' I nod, my tongue darting out to moisten my dry lips, 'I'll carry the tray for you'

'Thank you' she says, I pick up the tray, three mugs of hot coffee and a plate of delectable biscuits are placed on the tray, I make my way into the living room and set the tray down onto the table, my father immediately reaching for a mug and a custard cream. A loud knock sounds from the front door, it's six in the afternoon, who could that be? 'I'll get it!' my mother's voice calls out.

The sound of the front door being pulled open can barely be heard over the western music coming from the TV, I pick up a mug for myself and blow on it before taking a sip, sighing in content as I feel the hot liquid trickle down the throat, I'm starting to feel better now, I lean back on the sofa, looking up as the living room door is pushed open.

My mother steps inside her face colourless and her lips pushed into a thin line, behind her follows a man who looks to be in his late thirties, who is he? He is rather tall and looks strong, his chocolate brown hair is quite short and styled with gel, his white skin complimenting his light green eyes. My father's jaw drops slightly as he stares up at the man, I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

A weird feeling comes over me, as if I've seen this man before. Maybe I've passed him a couple of times in public, no. 'Good afternoon, I apologise for showing up withut any notification' he says, his voice deep. My father just nods, still speechless, what's going on? Am I missing something?

The stranger then turns to me, smiling slightly, 'Hello Annalise, you've certainly grown up to be a pretty young woman, I remember you when you were young, I've heard it's your birthday... happy birthday'

I raise any eyebrow, how did he know me when I was younger? I was seven when I was adopted, maybe that's what he was talking about. 'Who are you?' I ask him, he smirks.

'You don't remember me?'

'No' I shake my head, the man nods as if understanding.

'My name, is Ray Sylvester' he states, now it's time for my jaw to drop.

---

I stare at my parents who are sitting uncomfortably on the sofa, my father staring off into space and my mother looking down at the mug in her hands which she is playing nervously with, Ray's eyes haven't left mine. He is one of the survivors Harvey was talking about, he was a worker at the carehome, but why is he here?

'Anna honey, we need to tell you something very important...' my mother trails off, I look over at her, she is now looking at me.

'I'm adopted' I finish her unsaid sentence, her eyes widen in shock and my father's head snaps up, Ray raises an eyebrow.

'H-how did you know?' my father stutters, I've never heard him stutter before but I guess there's a first time for everything.

'I'll tell you... after you explain everything to me'

'Okay, we'll tell you everything' my mother nods taking a sip of her coffee, I watch her closely, waiting for her to speak. A weird smell drifts into my nostrils, what is that?

'What's that smell?' Ray asks, lifting his head to sniff the air, my parents start sniffing as well.

'It's coming from the hallway' I say, we all stand up and I lead the way to the hallway, gasping at what I see. Everything is foggy and I can barely see anything, 'What's going on?' I call.

I long black thing catches my eye, I slowly walk towards it despite my mother's protests. Picking it up, it feels like a thin hose pipe, my fingers skim the edge and I feel air coming out, someone put it here deliberately, why? Who?

'It's gas' Ray shouts, 'I recognise the smell, it's highly flamable'

'If we don't get out of here, the whole house might explode!' my mother screams.

My head snaps up to the stairs as a barely audible bang sounds, as if someone's dropped something, is it the person who put the thin black hose pipe through the hallway window? I start climbing silently up the stairs, I don't think anyone else heard the noise. Upstairs, the hallway is barely misty, I cough as I walk down pushing open the doors, no one. Suddenly, a scream sounds from downstairs.