Case closed

Unknown POV

I stand on the opposite side of the road staring at Mathew Cross' house, well, it's more of a mansion. This isn't the first time I've stood outside his house today, I was hear twice this morning, each time I stalked one of his guards home, now I know where they both live. Glancing up and down the empty street I cross the road and begin walking towards his front door, he only has two guards so I know he's home alone, he probably has my Annalise in there too. 

It doesn't take long to pick the lock, I slip in and close the front door again quietly before standing in the large hallway. I walk around the ground floor, walking into every room, there's no one here. I silently walk up the stairs, taking my time, I'm in no rush. I open a few doors but find no one, I walk towards the other side of the hallway and that's when I hear it. Sobbing. Female sobbing. 

I stand silently outside the door that the sobbing is coming from, it's open ajar but I can't see inside. My body tenses as I recognise the voice that's sobbing and sniffling, Annalise, my Annalise. I bring my gloved hand up and press it against the door, it opens slowly and silently. I don't move from where I am standing, my eyebrows twitch and almost raise as I see Mathew Cross' dead body laying on the floor on his back, the cane that he has walked with ever since I can remember him lies just a foot away from me, blood pools around his head and I can see what look like twisted pieces of metal wiring protruding from his neck, he has been stabbed. 

I look over at the figure on the bed, her back is hunched as she hugs her knees to her chest, her hair falling over her shoulders messily, her nose buried between her knees as she continues to sob and sniffle. My Annalise. 

I bend down and pick up the cane, as I lean on it, the cane makes a small thump on the hard wood floor, Annalise gasps and her head flies up to look at me, her eyes wide and her cheeks stained with tears. I stare back at her, he lips part in a silent gasps as she stares at me, 'You killed him' I state. 

She doesn't respond immediately, 'I did, I was angry with him, he told me that he had killed you and I just stabbed him but now I feel horrible, I've never killed anyone before, I didn't know that it would feel this horrible' 

I walk over to her and sit down beside her, I bring my arm round her shoulders before pulling her closer, her face falls into my chest and her hand comes up to clutch my shirt. After a while she looks up at me, her head resting on my shoulder 'Is it over? Everyone is dead, is it all over now?' she asks.

'Mathew Cross has two guards, I know where they live, once they're killed then it will be all over baby' I tell her, she nods slowly. She sits up and reaches under the pillow, pulling out a camera, she hands it to me and I turn it on.

'This is the camera that they used to take photos and videos of us in the care home' she explains as I click through the photos, I remember a lot of these children, they're all familiar faces.

'This is the only thing that has documented our existence, every other physical or electronic file has been destroyed, these pictures are the only thing that prove we ever existed' I say, staring down at a photo of myself and Annalise.

'Are you going to delete them? she asks, I nod. 

'But not right now, you need to get some sleep baby girl' I kiss her forehead before laying down on the bed and pulling her into my chest, she wraps her arms around my waist and buries her face in the crook of my neck, I wrap my arms tightly around her back and rest my head on top of hers. 

'When are you going to tell me why you've done all of this, why you've killed everyone?' she mumbles.

I lean down kissing behind her ear and leaving a trail of soft kisses down her neck, stopping at her collarbone, 'I will explain everything once it's all over, we're so close to the end, just have patience' 

We lay in silence, I stare at Mathew Cross' body as it lays on the floor in a pool of its own blood, I feel nothing, it's as if I'm staring at an everyday object, I've watched so many people die that it no longer phases me. My hand slide under Annalise's shirt and I begin to rub soothing circles into her back, I close my eyes and kiss her ear, 'I always thought that I was going to be the one to kill Mathew Cross, but I am happy that it was you baby, it re-affirms to me that you're mine, that even after years of being apart, you still love me enough to kill someone and I love you' 

---

Police's POV

'After the death of the officers working on this case our system has been hacked and all the evidence and researched gathered on this case has been destroyed, even after our best tech people tried to save it they were unable to, this means that the newly appointed officers: Officer Jackson and Officer Davis, will have to decide whether or not they want to re-open the case' the chief of police spoke to the senior officers seated around the meeting room table, half empty glasses of water sat in front of them as they all looked towards the front. 

Two officers stood up to face the chief of police 'We have discussed this matter, to re-open the case would mean that we have to start gathering evidence again from the very beginning, it took the original officers months to do that and now that the sources they previously used have also been destroyed, it will take us even longer and we may not be able to gather evidence at all' 

Another senior officer speaks, 'We already have evidence that there has been multiple murders' 

Officer Jackson continues 'Yes, there is no problem gathering evidence that there has been a murder, the difficulty that I am talking about is gathering evidence on who committed the murders, the link between the girl Annalise and the dead people can be easily made, however we know that it was not Annalise who committed these murders, when officer Leroy and officer Jones were alive they spent months gathering evidence to prove that there was a boy who committed the murders, a boy who lived with Annalise in the care home, we have now lost the little evidence that they have found and we have no idea where he is or what he looks like, we have also lost our images of Annalise, the one picture of him has been destroyed and we have not seen it' 

'So what does this mean?' another senior officer asks

Officer Davis responds 'This means that we will be closing the case, this is a case that will go down in history as a case that has never been solved, maybe years in the future the case will re-open and maybe it will be solved but that is highly unlikely, this is a case that we will never understand, the only people who know why and how these deaths occurred is the killer himself and the victims' 

'The media is going to broadcast this, the people are going to be outraged, a serial killer has gotten away with multiple murders and possibly even murders that we don't know about' one officer shakes his head with a frown. 

Officer Davis sighs and nods 'I understand, it's just as frustrating for us as it is for the public, however they must not fear because the serial killer from what we believe was targeting certain people, he was not selecting his victims randomly, the public must also understand that it's impossible and unlawful to punish a person without reasonable evidence, we have zero evidence and no idea what the killer looks like, we cannot pick up someone off the street and punish him for crimes he didn't commit, as unfair as it sounds that is the way justice works, if evidence points towards a killer then that killer will be punished but if there is no evidence and no killer then there is no one to punish, there has been plenty of cases in history where the killer has never been caught and there will always be cases in the future where killers are not caught, sometimes killers are too intelligent, but there will always be a higher number of cases that are solved and criminals that are punished, the public will just have to accept this and move on' 

The chief of police nods after a couple of minutes of silence, 'Then it's official, this case is officially closed' 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't re-read this chapter so there may be spelling mistakes! This story is nearly over but I want to ask... Do you guys want a sequel? If so, what do you want the sequel to be about? I'm not sure if I will write one, but if there are any good ideas for one then I might.