Ray

I jump as a hand places itself firmly on my shoulder, a squeal escapes my lips. Spinning round I almost faint with relief when I see that it's Ray, 'You scared me' I say, placing my hand over my chest.

'Sorry, I followed you up here... Did you hear that scream?'

'Yes, let's go and see if they're okay' I lead the way downstairs, pulling my t shirt over my nose as I squint my way down the stairs, Ray coughing behind me. Reaching down I pick up the tube and slide open the window, throwing it out, this way some of the gas can escape too.

We wait as the outside air starts to clear away the fog, 'MUM? DAD?' I call out, walking through the hallway and towards the living room, empty.

'Annalise...' Ray trails off from outside, I step into the hallway to see him standing at the kitchen door, walking behind him, I peer curiously over his shoulder, gasping at what I see.

My parents are both laying on the floor of the kitchen, a pool of crimson blood pools around them, they didn't die from inhaling the gas, something happened to them, mum screamed, maybe... before any thought could come to my head a beeping from my phone sounds, I hurriedly pull it out, trying unsuccessfully to blink away the tears that blur my vision.

Unknown Number; 'I'm glad you've met Ray, he can help you remember but your time with him is limited, just like everyone else'

'We need to call an ambulance and a fire brigade, all it takes is one match or candle and this whole house will go up in flames' Ray, says, urging me down the hallway and out of the front door, my feet move at their own accord as my brain still seems to be coming to terms with what i had just seen, unknown number killed my parents. Why does he keep doing this? What does he achieve from doing this? Is there a message behind these murders? It makes no sense.

---

I bounce my knees up and down, the chill of the night is getting to me and the thick red blanket wrapped around my shoulders isn't doing anything for my cold feet, my hands wrap around the small cup of coffee and I sit on the bench in street, staring down at the paved ground. My heavy tears still haven't stopped, but my sobbing has calmed only a little, leaving hiccups that hurt my chest.

Blue lights flash silently, the footsteps of the ambulance men running in and out of the house, the chatter of policemen and the sound of firemen pressing buttons on their large red truck all sound distant as my mind drifts off to wrap around everything that has happened. It finally settles in my mind, everyone close to me is dead and there are still more people who are going to die, there's a psycho boy stalking me, I have no memory of my past but I know that everything that's happening now is linked to my childhood, if only I could remember... then I would have the answers, at these thoughts my sobs start up again.

'Miss, are you alright?' I look up at the feminine voice, taking in the police uniform, I ignore her.

'Annalise, I think it's best that you stay at my flat for tonight, we can sort everything out in the morning' A large cold hand is placed on my back.

'Ray...' I trail off, finally looking up at him as he sits beside me, a similar red blanket wrapped around his shoulders, 'You worked in WestTown Carehome, you knew me and you knew him, I know about the fight that happened, I know how I made it out alive but I cannot remember my childhood Ray, I don't remember who he was or what his name was, but I know you remember Ray' my words come out with stutters and slightly jumbled due to my sobbing.

'Anna-'

I cut him off with a hiccup, 'He's been stalking me Ray, sending me text messages and killing all of the people I know and hold dear to me, I don't know how he gets the information but he knows exactly where I am, who I'm with and what I'm saying, all the time, even now, he's listening Ray, I'm not crazy I promise, I know you believe me Ray, you're the only one who knows what I'm talking about'

'Annalise, the reason I came to your house this evening  is because I want to tell you the truth, your foster parents promised to tell you everything on your eighteenth birthday, when you're old enough to understand and make your own decisions, I told them I would come and help them so that's why I came tonight Annalise. I know who he is, I know his name, I know what he looks like but most of all Annalise, I know who YOU are and I know who you are to him'

'Who I am to him?' I sniffle, confused.

'You're special to him Annalise, he holds you dear to him, ever since the moment the two of you had set eyes on each other you've been inseparable, but it wasn't plain sailing Annalise, people didn't like your friendship with him, they were scared that you two would become more than friends so they tried to break you apart...'

'Was he nice?'

'To you he was'

'Then why didn't they want me to be friends with him?' I ask, taking a sip of the now cold, cheap coffee.

Ray sighs, looking up at the starry night sky, I follow his gaze, leaning back on the bench as my hand coming up to rub my wet cheeks. 'He wasn't your average kid Annalise, he would do things and say things, things that you would expect to hear from a psycho or a murderer not a child, he didn't like socialising, he hated people... he was disgusting. He would play with people's lives and feed off of their fear, he took pleasure in watching people suffer, he had no mercy, no heart, no fears... he was a beast'

'A beast?'

'Yes... until he met you, at the care home he would do all types of crazy things, everyone feared him, children too scared to play with him and he was always alone, he liked being alone, he would play with people's minds, make them go crazy, he would fuel arguments between the children, doing things to rile them up, he would act on their fears... one girl was scared of being alone in a dark room and every night he would lock in her in a small cupboard, she thought she was alone and would banging on the door crying but he was in there with her, he kept asking her if she was scared, and what she would do to get out'

'Why?'

'Because he's a beast, slowly he kept turning people on each other until the huge fight happened, he was clever and skilful, never leaving traces of evidence until he met you, he would continue torturing others, playing mind games with them, but he never did anything to you. He would talk to you normally, he would give you tours around the care home and explain things to you, he soon grew protective of you and would harm those who tried to harm you. He wouldn't ever let you encounter one of your fears... then it became an obsession, he wouldn't let anyone play with you or even talk to you, he would insist you sleep with him in his room, he would dress you and stand outside the bathroom door, knocking regularly whenever you went to the toilet... We thought it was strange, he had built a strong hatred for people but he was different with you, he would treat you with such kindness as if you were the most fragile thing in the world, you were his, you belonged to a beast... and you still do'

'So then why haven't I seen him since then?' I furrow my brows in confusion, 'if he's so obsessed with me then where has he been since then?' 

'I don't know' Ray shakes his head slowly, 'but wherever he was, he's back' 

I remain silent, staring off into space. I don't know what to say, this is all becoming too much and I'm not sure if I can to cope anymore. I jump slightly as Ray's large hand is placed on my back once again, he rubs up and down in an attempt to comfort me. 'You can move into my apartment with me until you can find your own place, that's if you want your own place, I don't mind at all, I know this is difficult for you but you just need to rest for now, we'll talk again tomorrow'.

I am SOOOOOO sorry for not updating in such a long time, I have been super busy but I have seen all of your messages and I ready every one of your comments. Thank you all so much for voting and commenting! 

I have also noticed that a lot of you are saying that she seems a bit cold, I have tried to make her appear more emotional in this chapter. But I deliberately want the characters in this story to not be too emotional, they show sadness and cry but one of the traits of her character is that she is strong and although she gets emotional, it can come across as being a little cold. There are a lot of people like that, they get sad and cry but not to the same extent as everyone else might, as a result coming across as being quite cold, that is the personality that I have given her, it's different. PLEASE continue voting & commenting.