The Library

It feels weird going to school when I know that two people that are a part of this school have died already, this morning in assembly we had a minute's silence to griev for Ellie and the janitor, Clara and I cried silently before lessons began, 'I hate how the day just goes on as usual after our best friend died' Clara complains, furrowing her eyebrows in anger, I sigh.

'Yes but we do have to move on at some point, there's nothing the school can do' I say, she nods in agreement.

'I have Math class' she says, I nod.

'I don't have a lesson now, so I'll probably be in the library' I tell her as we part ways, the library wasn't very empty, there were a few people typing rapidly on the keyboards as if they were racing each other and a group of guys sat around a table quietly negotiating something, I weave my through the rows of bookcases.

'Do you need any help?' one of the helpers asks, smiling kindly, I return the smile.

'No thank you, I'm not looking for anything in particular, just browsing' I reply, she nods before walking away. I stand, my eyes trailing across the books in front of me but my mind elsewhere.

'May I make a reccomendation?' a voice asks, I turn , slightly startled to see a man who's probably one or two years older than me standing behind me, he is very handsome, if I do say so myself, just as I'm about to reply he starts to describe the book he's recommending, '... A girl finds out she was adopted by the parents she thought were her own and through a series of unfortunate events she starts to learn who she really is, then she meets the beast, a beast that she never knew existed, a beast that instead of running away from... she learns to love'

'Wow, what's the book called?' I ask, it sounds like a romance novel but with a twist. The young man stares at me, his forest green eyes seem to stare deep into my soul invading my mind, his skin glows tan under the library's light, he is tall with muscles defining every inch of his body, his chocolate brown hair is styled in a quiff, he is beautiful, he is perfection.

I feel my cheeks heat up under his uwavering gaze, suddenly a smirk graces his face, 'You'll find out' he says before turning his back and walking away, I take in his black skinny jeans and black turtleneck top with a navy blue blazer on top and black dress shoes.

I snap out of my daze, quickly looking around to find that he is no longer here, who is he? I have never seen him before, his eyes... they're so beautiful... so familiar. But I cannot have met him before, I would have remembered such a handsome man, his voice was deep and smooth, like liquid caramel, leaving me hanging on his every word, the aura surrounding him holds danger and authority.

'You'll find out' what does that even mean? Is it a book that I already know? Maybe he saw me lookng at the book, or I skimmed past it. Thoughts swirl around my head but somewhere deep down inside me, I feel as if what he has discribed is not a book or story or any type of novel, I feel as if he's trying to tell me something, as if there was a secret message hidden behind his words... but that's impossible right?

The loud ringing of the bell makes me jump, it's lunchtime and I should be going to meet up with Clara before she becomes worried. I push past the students down the hallway and towards the bench outside where Clara, Ellie and I always used to sit and eat lunch together but now... it's just Clara and I.

'How did your lesson go?' I ask, she shrugs.

'Boring, as always' she takes a bite out of her sandwich, 'Did you find a good book at the library?'

'No, but I met a guy who I haven't seen at this school before' I tell her, she nods.

'Maybe he's new, although I would have known if there was a new kid' she says, I nod in agreement.

'Oh well, I've only got three lessons today and already and mountain of homework has been given, I have Miss Romero after lunch and knowing her, she'll only add to the mountain' I complain, Clara lets out a breathy laugh.

'Ellie's funeral is tomorrow afternoon, are you coming?' she asks, I stare at her as if she's grown a second head, Clara simply raises her eyebrow in confusion.

'Yes Clara, of course I'm going to be there, Ellie was my bestfriend, just because I didn't cry as much as you did doesn't mean that I didn't care about her, how can you even ask that?' I ask, astonished, she should know better.

'I'm sorry, that came out wrong, I was just asking' Clara, sighs sadly. I take a deep breath as the bell rings and we silently part ways. Class dragged on for what seemed like eternity, once the bell finally rang I threw all of my stuff into my bag and went to the bike shed to grab my bike, I can't wait until I drive!

'I'm home' I call out hearing noises coming from the kitchen, I peer my head round to see mum baking.

'Hi honey, your father's working late today' she says, I nod before heading upstairs to change my clothes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENT&VOTE