Run

Annalise's POV

I throw a handful of salted popcorn in my mouth as I'm curled up on the sofa with Ray not too far away, we're not watching a movie or anything... I just wanted a snack. As the reality show that we were only half watching finishes, he switches to the news channel. A quick weather update is given before the main headlines begin to be discussed, the woman presenting begins talking with a male about financial affairs with another country before the story changes. 

The news reporter stares through the camera lens and it feels as if she's staring right at me, even when I move side to side it feels as if her eyes are following me. 'The police have released two images taken from CCTV of two suspects in the recent string of murder cases which they believe to be related, many people on social media have expressed their fear and worry at having a serial killer on the loose and some have even spoken about extreme measures that they have taken to make themselves feel more safe in their own home, but earlier this afternoon the police released two images of a young girl and an older man who they are looking for to bring into questioning, in relation to the cases, the public is urged to call the police if they see the two' 

I choke on my popcorn as two pictures of Ray and I appear on the TV side by side, they've been taken from the CCTV at the police station the last time we visited, our faces are clear and it won't be difficult for anyone who knows us to recognise us, actually, it won't be hard for people who don't know us to recognise us either. 

'Ray, they're going to arrest us, why?' I look over at him to see that he is still staring at the TV wide eyed, I kick my feet off the sofa and sit up straight, dropping the half empty bag of popcorn onto the coffee table in front of me. 

Suddenly Ray gets up and turns the TV off, I stare at him in shock and confusion 'We have to go Annalise, we can't stay here, it won't be long until they come knocking on the door to arrest us and we can't let that happen, think about what BEAST will do if we get arrested, more specifically think about what he would do if you got arrested, more people could die Annalise, he could even kill some of the police officers' 

'So when are we leaving? Tomorrow?' I ask, standing up too.

He shakes his head, 'No, it will be too late if we stay until tomorrow, we have to leave now, they're probably already on their way'

'Where will we go?' I ask, I follow him as he rushes down the hallway and into his bedroom, I stand at the door and watch as he pulls out a rucksack and begins throwing clothes into it. 

'Go and pack, we can stay in a cheap hotel for a couple of nights before we find something more permanent' 

I run to the spare room that I have been sleeping in and grab my bag, folding in my clothes as quickly as I can, Ray comes in a few minutes later with a bottle of water and several snacks, 'In case we get hungry' I take them from him and throw them in my bag before zipping it up. I pull on my jacket and trainers, before grabbing my phone and purse. 

'Should we take your car?' I ask, watching him lock his apartment door. I glance both ways down the hallway to check if there are any police or anyone that may report us to the police, before following him into the empty elevator, it's quiet as it's rather late at night.

'No, the police are smart they can check road cameras and follow the car using the license plate number, we will have to walk' I walk beside him, shivering slightly at the cold air of the night, the streetlights glow orange and provide an adequate source of light as we walk briskly down towards the town centre. 

'How about we go to Peters?' I look up at him as he glances wearily at a stranger passing us on the opposite side of the road, 'The police don't know about him and he will let us stay'