Case Closed... Permanently

Annalise's POV

'Enjoy your meal' the teenage boy behind the counter of a fast food place says to me, I smile back at him as I pick up the tray and walk towards a table in the food court. I sit down before sorting out who's food is who's. I give him the meal he ordered before taking mine and unwrapping my burger, delicious. 

The bags surrounding us on the floor show that I may have gone slightly overboard with shopping but he was kind enough to carry them all and didn't try and stop me from buying anything, no matter how unnecessary it was. We have been at this new town for three weeks now and we're slowly getting used to it, he has a part time job in a big corporation but he said it's only so no one questions where our income is coming from, it just means extra spending money for me. 

The house we live in is beautiful, he let me furnish it to my taste, it has two bedrooms but we just use the spare room as an office room. I finished my burger before starting on my fries, I fed some to him as he drank his fizzy drink. A woman from the table beside leaned over, she looked to be in her early seventies but she looked good for her age, 'I remember when my husband and I were as young as you and not a care in the world, that all changed when we had children but now that we are both retired, we almost feel young again' 

Her husband who sat opposite her rolled his eyes before smiling at us, 'sorry, she loves talking to young couples' 

'That's alright' I smiled back at him. 

'I'm not worried' he says, I look over to him as he smirks at the old woman, 'We're not going to have any children' My eyebrow twitched slightly, we had never even mentioned anything about ever having children, but he sounds adamant that we are never going to have them anyway. The old couple make a bit more small talk with us before the leave.

I turn to him, 'You sounded so sure that we're never going to have children' I blushed slightly at the thought.

'I don't want any children, I want you all to myself, all of your love and attention should be on me and all of my love and attention should be on you, no one else, not even children, they would only distract us and cause us stress, it's just you and me forever and I don't want anyone else touching you, hugging you or kissing you, only me.' he shook his head, crumpling up his empty burger wrapper. I nod slowly, I'd never thought about having children of my own and I still feel very young, I enjoy being with him with just the two of us, so I agree with him.

We threw our trash in the bin and left the shopping centre, he insisted on carrying all of the bags even though I whined about feeling guilty because almost all of it was my own shopping, but he refused to listen so I pouted as I trailed along behind him. 

We reached the main square of the hughstreet where a large TV was high up on a building, a large group of people were crowded around it, their necks craned upwards to stare at the outdoor TV. It looked like some sort of news channel but I didn't really recognise the network. 

'West Town police have closed the recent murder cases for good, the new chief of police released a statement to the press where he said that all of the evidence that had been gathered by the former chief of police who sadly lost her life whilst investigating this case has been erased and the murders have come to a halt, the current chief of police stated that there would be no use in opening a cold case that is no longer ongoing' the reporter explains.

'In the chief's statement he said that it is unclear to this day what the motivation behind the murders are or why those who died were targeted, however the difficult decisions to close the case permanently was made just yesterday. It is clear that this is a case that will go down in the history of West Town and possibly the entire nation, where not even modern day technology could track down a highly intelligent serial killer.' 

I glanced over at him as he stood beside me, staring up at the large screen, the hint of a smirk on his face. The reporter continued, 'There have been a few protests held outside police headquarters, many people outraged with the knowledge that the police are so willing to close a case that's very recent and allow the murderer to walk free, but the chief of police insists that this case has come to an end and there are no more deaths related to this case, it is clear that the murderer had a specific purpose and was not targeting individuals randomly, and it appears as though the murderer has completed what he initially sought out to do, the chief of police assures people that they should not have any fear that this killer will strike again and wishes to use funds for more pressing cases that have a likelihood of prosecution

The people around us start talking with each other as the reporter ends this topic and moves on to another. That's how it will always be, cases come and go, some end with prosecution but some do not, if there is no evidence then there is no one to prosecute. There are over 7 billion people on the planet and once a crime is reported or comes to light, you are looking for 1 of those 7 billion, quite often with not a lot of evidence... that can be very difficult.

It's a very strange feeling watching everyone around you speak so openly about you without them even knowing that they are talking about you. I look over at him and we begin heading back home, 'How many people do you think we have ever met or seen who are actually criminals with new identities?'

He chuckles, 'A lot more than you think, baby' 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really don't want this book to end!! Which is why I have been putting off updating it :( I think this will be the last chapter, BUT if you want another chapter or an epilogue then comment some ideas and I will write one! I can't think of anything else to add to this story, but if you can then do tell me!

ALSO, if you want a Q&A about the characters, the plot or anything else regarding this story, then comment your questions and if there are many or there is some confusion or elaboration needed then I will do a Q&A for this story and upload it here!

IN THE MEAN TIME... if you like this story then hopefully you will also like Crazy Town, which also contains murder, romance and hidden identities. You can read the description in the chapter titled 'A/N - NEW STORY' of this book! COMMENT&VOTE