Mysterious Boy

I stand in front of my calendar, just two more days until I'm eighteen, I cannot wait. There will be so much going on, I will graduate and go to university and I will be able to drive and I can finally move out and most of all, I can finally learn who I truly am.

I jump down the stairs, my bag bouncing along as I make my way into the kitchen, my mum smiles up at me before handing me my plate of breakfast, I sit on the stool in front of the island and watch my mum as she moves around the kitchen, stirring, chopping, slicing. Her hair is brown and just touches her shoulders, her eyes are a chocolate brown color, her skin slightly tan and her lips light pink and thin. How have I not noticed before? I look nothing like her, or dad.

'Are you ok honey?' she asks, her eyebrows furrowing in concern, I snap out of my train of thought and nod.

'Yes, sorry' I say, picking up my fork and tucking into the delicious breakfast.

I start pedalling to shool, the warm weather allows me to enjoy the scenery as it rushes past me, only a few puddles remain from last night. As I park my bike in the bike shed, I begin to think about Harvey's words yesterday, I am a survivor from a massive attack, one boy also survived, he is unknown number.

Questions start to float around in my head, questions which I am unable to answer. How did I survive? Did I kill anyone that day? What happened after that? I cannot think of an answer, I cannot even imagine myself in that situation. If I was in a house full of people murdering each other, with no sympathy or regret, surely I would have died that day, I cannot properly defend myself even now let alone at a very young age.

'Hello' a familiar deep voice says from behind me, I gasp and whip round to come face to face with the boy from the library. 'It's almost time for class, would you mind if I walked with you?' he asks, I slowly nod.

I slip my phone back into my pocket and walk beside him, keeping a bit of space between us, the silence was a little awkward, he stared at the scenery around him, looking around and taking it all in, 'Do you ever feel...' he begins, I look up at him as he continues to look at the nature surrounding him.

'Do you ever feel like you want to change the past? Erase it, as if it never existed, forget all about it?' he asks, I look down, thinking about his question.

'That would be pointless' I conclude, his head turns to face me, his eyes trail along my facial features.

'Why?' he asks, his voice soothing yet it makes me feel on edge, I grip my bag strap tighter and run my tongue across my lips.

'You cannot change the past nor can you erase it' I say, 'It's possible to live your life pretending it never happened but even if you did forget about it, it still happened and there's nothing you can do to change that'

The boy turns to look at the pavement in front of him, 'Maybe that's why people do things... to erase the past'

Before I could reply the bell rings, I sigh, turning around to look at him, but he's not there. Where did he go? I spin round in a full circle but he is nowhere to be seen, I frown, oh well maybe his classroom is nearby and he just slipped in, he still could have been polite and said goodbye.

I twirl my pen around my pointer finger and thumb, my cheek resting on my hand on the table, the professor drones on about something that I'm not really interested in, but I have taken a few notes down. My head starts to spin, thinking about everything that's been going on.

The words of the mysterious boy from this morning drift back into my head, 'Maybe that's why people do things... to erase the past' for some reason I feel as if he was talking about all the murders and everything going on with me, but he can't be, he doesn't even know.

I am now currently sat in the library, picking a university, there's so many good ones that it's hard to choose. I write down my three options before filling out the rest of the form, all I need now are the grades to get in, hopefully if I revise hard enough, I should be ok.

COMMENT&VOTE