Chapter Twenty Seven

Third Person's POV

They both silently came out of the small room and saw that the old woman was cooking something. There was an amazing aroma coming from the open kitchen and they both inhaled it eagerly, their stomachs rumbling in response. They didn't have their dinner before they left in a hurry and they only a small bowl of soup so obviously the delicious aroma was bound to make them damn hungry.

Arjun cleared his throat and murmured a small good morning with Navya following his lead. There was an awkward silence in the small cottage which was making Arjun very uncomfortable with the current situation that they were in and he also felt slightly guilty for lying to her as he will forever be indebted for the help that he has provided when there were in dire need of it.

The old woman, in return, just glanced at them and turned back to cooking.

"Vandana." She just muttered.

Arjun and Navya looked at each other confused and when Arjun was about to ask her what she meant, she said, " My name is Vandana not old woman."

Their eyes widened hearing her answer their unasked question and arjun choked on air when he realized that she has overheard them speaking in the room.

He was now feeling really guilty and embarrassed. He didn't know what was happening to him and why he was behaving like a fool. He was supposed to be emotionless and this was not meant to affect him much but when he looked Navya hold back her laughter, he understood who was behind it.

He sighed and was going to apologize when she raised her hand stopping him as if to say that it is not necessary.

Well, he still had to so he said, "Uh, I am sorry. I-" he was interrupted when she shook her head and cracked what was meant to be smile.

" It's fine, young man." She said.

" You both come and have your breakfast now. You must be hungry." She said and gestured them to take seat on the small dining table.

They both silently sat and started digging in. It was clearly visible that they both were starving.

Vandana was quietly observing them or more like scrutinizing as it is for Arjun who was squirming in his seat unable to hide his discomfort. He didn't understand why he was so damn scared of her but he was. Maybe because of the motherly vibes that she emitted. She had this natural aura of authority which made her look more intimidating.

" I have a work for you Navya." Vandana said and Navya turned to look at her questioningly. She was surprised as to how she knew their names.

Great! She was observant too. Arjun thought.

"Yeah, please tell me amma (mother)." She replied.

"I want you to collect a few fresh vegetables from the garden behind the cottage which I need for dinner tonight as I have a few extra people to feed for the next few days." She ordered sternly.

Just when Navya was about to respond, Arjun beat her to it and said, " I will do it." Which was a very wrong thing to say and he instantly regretted the next second those words flew out of his mouth.

Vandana looked at him with an eyebrow raised with a hand resting on her hip. It was intimidating to say the least and Arjun winced a little when he noticed her stern look, more like a ferocious glare.

"I don't remember you asking, young man." She said.

"No, I just thought I could be of some help and-" and then she interrupted him.

"Do you think that she cannot do it?" she questioned him in return.

"No, I never said that." He sputtered and then sighed, knowing he was getting nowhere.