Chapter 15

How is everyone doing? I hope you're all okay :) I'm getting used to the studying and medical attention but the doctor prescribed me with medicine I can't even take -_- 500 mg of Ibuprofen gives me heart problems. Could you guys please review for me? It would make me beyond happy! I'm thinking about writing a Book Thief fanfiction. I don't know though. Should I?

The Company and I stand at the foot of the rocks, and await for Bilbo's judgement of the situation.

"How close is the pack?" Dwalin asks as Bilbo slides down the rocks slowly and carefully.

"Too close. A couple of leagues, no more, but that is not the worst of it." Bilbo breathes heavily, and shakes his head. I cross my arms over my chest and raise my brows. Oh really?

"Have the Wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin questions further, and places his hand on the hilt of one of his many weapons.

"Not yet, but they will; we have another problem." Bilbo nods to Dwalin, and turns to Gandalf and I with a worried expression.

"Did they see you? They saw you!" Gandalf nearly shouts in an accusing manner, and steps toward the hobbit.

"No, that's not it." Bilbo shakes his head as Gandalf smiles and turns to the dwarves. If it were not any of those options, what could it be? I thought for a moment, before a clear idea came to mind.

"What did I tell you? Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material." The dwarves chuckle loudly in appreciation of Bilbo. Bilbo looks exasperated that no one is hearing him out.

"Will you listen- Will you just listen? I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there." The dwarves look worried, but I step forward and place a hand on Bilbo's shoulder.

"What form did it take? A bear?" I question softly, looking into Bilbo's big, brown eyes.

"Ye..." Bilbo pauses and looks curiously at me, and I turn to Gandalf with a knowing glance.

"Y- yes. But bigger, much bigger." Bilbo answers, and I bite my lip, and let the fact my idea had been confirmed come out.

"You knew about this beast?" Bofur steps forward, and looks from Gandalf to me. I look down at the forest floor as my hand slips from Bilbo's shoulder. Gandalf turns and walks a few steps away.

"I say we double back." Bofur suggests with a worried expression. No! We are not turning back and fighting a battle we know we have no chances with, not here.

"And be run down by a pack of Orcs." Thorin growls, and glares at Bofur for the silly suggestion.

"There is a house, it's not far from here, where we might take refuge." Gandalf suggests, and turn to us with hope in his eyes.

"Whose house? Are they friend or foe?" Thorin looks up to the wizard, raising his brows.

"Neither. He will help us, or he will kill us." The dwarves looks at each other in dismay, and I look to Gandalf with hope in my eyes and a bright smile appearing on my lips.

"What choice do we have?" Thorin lets out a sight as a roar splits the night behind them; it is the bear.

"None." Gandalf and I answer in unison, and I think to myself, 'It's time to meet an old friend."

The company is running through large, grassy plains and across long, wide streams.

"Come on!" As the Company runs through a forest, Azog and his Orcs are racing through the forest too. Azog urges his party on. Both groups stop suddenly when an ear-splitting roar sounds nearby. It's him...

"This way, quickly!" As the dwarves panic and run, Bombur looks on in shock until he is pulled along.

"Bombur, come on!" As we exit the forest, we spy a house surrounded by a hedge in the middle of a plain.

"To the house! Run!" The Company runs across the plain; Bombur, the fattest dwarf, outruns all the rest of us in his fear. I remain at the back of the group as the others run through a gate in the hedge.

"Come on, get inside!" We run to the front door of the house; it is closed. Bombur, who reaches the door first, throws himself against it but falls flat on his back when the door doesn't budge. I roll my eyes, and quickly look around for a solution. The rest of the dwarves catch up and begin throwing themselves against the door, trying to open it. Gandalf looks back as a massive bear breaks out from the edge of the forest and runs toward them.

"Open the door!"

"Quickly!" Thorin, pushing through the dwarves pressed against the door, manages to raise the exterior bolt, opening the doors. The entire company bolts inside the house and attempt to slam the door shut, but the bear has already gotten its head in the door. I appear beside Bilbo, and watch the dwarves. As the bear roars and tries to push the door open, the dwarves yell and strain to close it. Bilbo pulls out his sword and points it unsteadily at the bear. I grab his hand, and he looks up to me in fear.

"No…" I whisper, and shake my head. Gandalf looks on in apparent amusement. The dwarves yell as they press against the door.

"Come on, lads!" With a final heave, the dwarves manage to close the door and drop the bolt across it. They sigh in shock, fear, and tiredness.

"What is that?"

"That...is our host." Gandalf laughs, and the dwarves and Bilbo turn to Gandalf in bewilderment. I place my hands on my hips and smile at the Company of dwarves.

"His name is Beorn, and he is a skin-changer." I answer, and I nod to Thorin. Oin checks his hearing trumpet to make sure he has heard me correctly.

"Sometimes he's a huge black bear; sometimes he's a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable, but the man can be reasoned with. However, he is not overfond of dwarves." The dwarves look at each other in dismay. Ori peaks out a crack in the door.

"He's leaving!" Dori pulls him away from the door.

"Come away from there! It's not natural, none of it. It's obvious: he's under some dark spell."

"Don't be a fool; he's under no enchantment but his own. Alright now, get some sleep, all of you. You'll be safe here tonight." I assure the dwarves, and force a smile. The dwarves start spreading out through the house. As I watch the dwarves disperse, I hear Gandalf whisper quietly to himself.

"I hope."

Did you like it? There wasn't much action, but there will be in the future! Let me say this: I am BEYOND excited for the Mirkwood chapter. Hint: "Not even an Assassin could withstand the darkness of Mirkwood." Mwahaha, I can't wait! I love bugging you guys. Thanks to all who reviews, favorited and followed! I love ya guys so muuuuch! Goodnight! :D