Chapter 4

Okay, so here's the double update :) I've had quite the day, and I'm rather tired. I've been to the hospital, skipped school, and found out my stepsister has bronchitis. This is sort of a flashback filled chapter so... enjoy! Uhm, if you'd like to message me, that would be rad :)

Comment, Vote and Share.

Thorin’s P.O.V

I led the Company down the Road, and after encountering dried blood in the dirt, we were all on alert, fearing the worst. Gandalf tried to assure us that Maia had most likely taken care of the problem, but if she had where was she? I looked back to my nephews who were currently talking and joking around. I remember when I had announced the Quest for Erebor to Dis and her sons.

We were sitting at the table eating our afternoon meal, and I had decided to bring up the subject of Erebor. I had rarely brought up Erebor considering it was the downfall of our great nation.

“Dis, I’ve been thinking for quite some time… I have decided to retake the mountain.” I announce as Dis grabs our empty plates from the table.  

“That’s great, brother! Who will be in your Company?” She asks as she takes the dishes to the large sink. I list some noble dwarves from the Blue Mountains, and as I list the names, I can see Fili and Kili’s faces sink further and further. Dis quickly washes the dishes in the sink and turns to us.

“Sons, I’m sure Dwalin needs help at the Armory. Could you go and help him?” Dis asks as she wipes her wet hands on a rag. Fili and Kili nod, taking their leave to the Armory.

“What was that for, sister?” I growled, turning in my seat to face her. She swiftly approached, shaking her head.

“Fili and Kili should be joining you.” Dis growled, leaning onto the table with one hand, her other hand on her hip.

“They’re too young, unable to understand the reason and seriousness behind this quest.” I countered, looking up at her.

“What makes you think such a thing? They’re your heirs, and reclaiming this mountains means just as much to them as it means to you. My boys have grown up with tales of the mountains, tales you have told them, and if you think they’re too young to understand the reason behind this quest then you’re too damn blind, Thorin Oakenshield!” She shouts, slamming her fist on the table. I stare at her for a moment, before she takes her leave. She makes it to the kitchen doorway before partially turning to face me.

“They’re my sons, of course they know the reason you’re reclaiming the mountain.” She growled before leaving for her room.

“Lady Maia, where on Earth have you been?” Gandalf’s voice tears me from the precious memories and I look up to see Maia standing in the middle of the road in perfect condition, and her hands placed on her hips. I halt the ponies and I look over to Gandalf, raising a brow.

“I was scouting the area as I had mentioned earlier.” She looks to Gandalf with a “seriously” look lingering in her bright blue, icy eyes.

“Oh, yes… you’re quite right.” Gandalf scratches his beard as he loses himself in a deep thought. I clear my throat, breaking him from his thoughts as he did to me earlier.

“Is anyone willing to ride with Lady Maia?” I turn the pony to face the Company and look on at the unwilling members.

“No one want’s ter ride with a criminal!” Dwalin exclaims,  gripping tightly onto the reins of his pony as she shifts beneath him.

“Master Dwalin, I assure you I’m no criminal although I can tell you this. I have murdered for the sake of the citizens of Middle Earth and honestly, you wouldn’t be here right now if it weren’t for me so I’d think carefully next time before you speak. Oh, and one more thing, last time I remember, there is a criminal within this Company, and I won’t state any names for their sake but please, do think before you speak.” She smiles sweetly, glancing over to Nori, before turning on her heel and carrying on down the Road. I look over to Dwalin who is blushing with embarrassment and cursing to himself. I smile to myself and turn the pony back in the correct direction.