Chapter 24

Hiya, people! I've been surviving on 4-7 hours of sleep each day, and hardly any coffee. 

My birthday is in a week, and while I highly doubt this, I'd die if my parents bought me tickets to see Hamilton. *sigh* 

OH - also, there's abuse in this chapter so if you're sensitive to that... I'd suggest not reading it... 

Please comment, vote, and share! It seems i've lost a good amount of viewers! C'mon guys!

In the following days, I hardly spoke to Thorin as he was in council meetings, or approving documents... or in the Treasury. Each and every day, he makes a visit, longer than the last,enchanted with the piles of gold. During one visit, I catch him in there, and decide to speak with him.

"My love, what are you doing in here?" I ask, raising a brow. Thorin turns, and a look of pure anger forms on his face.

"You have no business in here, Maia!" Thorin spits, anger burning in his eyes. I take a step back, shocked. He returns to cherishing his gold... just like his grandfather.

"Thorin... you promised you wouldn't end up like your grandfather." I speak, and he whirls around to face me.

"That is none of your business, you orphaned rat! Get out of here!" Thorin roars, and tears threaten to spill. I stand there, heartbroken, before running up the stairwell and down the long corridors. I make it to my room, and I fall onto my bed, sobbing.

His words ring through my head like sirens in the midst of the night. I had to do something... Dale, Laketown, and the Woodland Realm had yet to be paid for their support in the battle, and the rebuilding of the cities. I sighed. I could make small payments each month in secret until all debts are paid... yes, that sounds like a plan.

--

During the next few days, while the King is leading council meetings or working in his study, I take a good amount of gold, and return it to my room. I send 1 pouch to Dale, 1 pouch to Laketown, and 1 pouch to the Woodland Realm with a letter enclosed explaining the situation. While at dinner, I eat in silence, which is rare for me.

"My love, what is wrong?" Thorin asks, placing a hand on my arm.

"Nothing. I'm fine." I speak without emotion and continue eating. On one particular evening, I'm collecting gold to return to my room when a familiar voice catches me in the act.

"Maia, what exactly do you think you're doing?" Thorin growls as I drop the gold, causing it to clatter on the stone floor. I sigh, and glare at the king.

"You're a fool, leaving your allies penniless after the battle to rebuild their cities with nothing!" I growl, and he marches toward me, slapping me in the face.

"I am your king!" He roars, gripping my wrist violently so I cannot escape his wrath.

"That cannot stop me from doing the right thing! I no longer see the man I fell in love with. You are no king. You're a coward." I argued, and he threw me to the ground, my head hitting the stone pillar.

"Uncle!" Fili and Kili shouted in unison, rushing to the scene. Kili rushed to my side as Fili reasoned with his Uncle. Bruises were beginning to form, and my scrapes had started to bleed. Kili helped me out of the Treasury, and back to my room. I sat down on the bed as he went to the wash room and returned with a rag and bowl. He began to clean my wounds.

"I'm terribly sorry..." Kili whispers as he cleans my wounds. I raise a brow.

"Do not apologize, it isn't your fault." I reassure Kili as he sets the bowl and rag on the nightstand. I stand, and begin to look around the room.

"What are you going to do?" He asks, sitting down on the bed as I walk around the room.

"There's not much more I can do... he hurt me, Kili." I sigh as the door swings open, and Thorin enters with Fili close behind him. Thorin takes in my horrid appearance as Fili glances worriedly to his brother. My hair is sticky with a dark, burgundy substance, and there's a few scrapes on my cheek, and hands, along with a bruise forming on my wrist. He takes a step forward, and I take a step back.

"Maia..." Thorin whispered, raising his hand, and I flinch. His hand retreats quickly, and he looks at me, heartbroken.

"Go-goodnight, my King." I whisper, my voice cracking as I look down, trying to blink away the tears. No! I'm an Assassin, what has gotten into me?! Thorin nods, looking down for a moment before taking his leave.

"Goodnight, Maia..." Kili whispers before leaving the room, and his brother follows soon after him. I fall to my knees as I break down, sobbing. Eventually, I found peace, and passed out on the floor, not caring to crawl into bed, too tired to care.

Days and nights had passed, and I kept my distance from Thorin. Everyone began to notice, and wondered why I still wore the courting braid in my hair. At this point, even I didn't know the answer to such a question. At dinner, I would seat in between Fili and Kili, and if Thorin asked for my opinion on a political matter, I would shrug. If he talks about his work, I would answer with, "mhm", and "interesting". Thorin would look at me, so heartbroken, and depressed, but I wouldn't acknowledge him.

Not for a little while, at least.   

I just watched The Martian, and I cried tbh. 

Comment, vote and share!