Chapter 20

Hiya guys! I wrote this last night/this morning and thought I would post this as a treat to you all! :D I am so thankful for you guys, you honestly don't know how much it means to me that people love my work I love you all so, So, SO much! :) Oh, there's a surprise in this chapter.

Hint: Elijah and Maia aren't the only ones... Hehehe.

I hope you all are safe and sound, and I hope you enjoy this small break we have due to the winter storms! :P Enjoy, and please comment!

It's been a week since I've been captured.

I was taken to the main campsite, and Bolg stripped of my weapons and clothing. I was thrown into a tent, and given fur skins, which were practically rags, to wear. I was given tasks to do, and if those tasks weren't completed or done correctly, which was most of the time, I would be whipped or punished. Everyone in camp knew of my title as Assassin, and would often harass me, but Azog was coming, and since my capture, I belonged to no one but him.

I often wonder where the dwarves are, and although the thought of them claiming a homeland makes me glad, the thought of it sometimes leaves me heartsick. There are whispers in camp, often more times than not, of war, and I fear the worst. Azog will arrive tonight, and we must leave at dawn to march to a new land.

At last, I had some free time in the day to relax. I settled down in the tent, and looked around the tent. It was rather odd not having a few dwarven companions by my side, or my little hobbit. I wonder what Elijah is doing at this moment. All of the sudden, the sounds of war cries and clanging weapons broke the odd silence just outside the tent. I quickly grabbed the hidden dagger from my pillow and stood from the bed. Suddenly, two men and one girl entered the tent, their armor coated in Orc blood.

"Milady, let us introduce ourselves. I am Alec, this is my younger brother Alex, and my younger sister Alena." One of the men introduced, and the three bowed.

"Who are you, and who sent you?" I ask, gripping tightly onto the dagger in my left hand. I observed the three siblings' appearance - the three seemed to inherit the short, blonde hair and the bright, blue eyes from their parents.

"We are Assassins, milady. Less than a week ago, Assassin Elijah of the Mirkwood Realm sent us a raven and asked us for help. The note was short, and he gave few details, but he did mention your name, and that's what motivated us to help." The younger brother, Alex, explained to me. This was hard to believe… the Assassin race was nearly wiped out by war and dark forces. How come all the sudden they're popping up like flowers?

"Why?" I asked, and slowly placed the dagger onto the bed.

"We heard about your sisters' death, and for that we are sorry for your loss. We understand the Assassin race is dwindling, and there are few of us left, so that is why we've chose now to take a stand." Alec explains, and I raise a brow.

"How do you know I can trust you?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest. The young girl, Alena, stepped forward.

"Elijah asked me to give this to you to prove our point," Alena hands me a dagger with the letter 'M' engraved into the wooden handle, "and we don't have time for 20 questions. Azog will be here any minute. Are you coming or not?" Alena nearly growls, and I examine the intricately carved and modeled knife for another minute before looking up to the three Elves.

"Yes."

Thorin's P.O.V

"King Thorin Oakenshield, I have grand news!" Elijah, who I appointed in Erebor, raced through the halls toward the Treasury. I spent most of my time here, and tried to forget Maia.

"What is so important that you must interrupt my precious time?!" I growl, and continue observing the gold.

"Lady Maia has been found, she's requesting that you allow her and her three friends entrance to the mountain." Elijah announced, and I could feel my heart jump to my throat at the news of her safe return. I dropped all plans, and followed the Assassin through the halls to the temporary gate the others had built just a few days ago. I began to tear the wall down, brick by brick, until I could see her beautiful face once more.

She was different.

She was wearing rags, her hair was tangled into knots, the bright light in her eyes had faded, and had lashes on her face and body. She was all skin and bone to the point her features had sunken in. She had been captured and tortured at one of the camps.

"Maia!" I ran to her side as she stood there before me with a bright smile. She felt weak, as if she didn't have the energy to stand or walk or do anything.

"I'm here." She whispered assuringly, and I pulled back from her weak grasp and looked into her faded, blue eyes.

"Come, and we will discuss this over food and wine." I nod to her and her friends who force smiles. We climb over the rocks, and enter the mountain to a private hall where we could eat in peace without the others bombarding us, and mainly Maia. The last thing she needed was attention, and I understood that on many different levels.

Maia's P.O.V

The sun had set, and we sat in a empty, private chamber to eat and drink as we spoke of urgent matters. I was eating and drinking in the dusty, old bed, but I could hardly move to do anything. I was at my weakest point, but I failed to admit I had lost, that the Orcs had gotten to me, that I was starved and beaten. I set down my food and looked up to Thorin who had been sipping his wine.

"The Orcs are marching upon the mountain, and Azog and his son, Bolg, will lead the armies." I announce with a frown.

"They can tear this mountain apart, but by no means will they claim it!" Thorin nearly shouted, and I winced.

"They'll be here in three days time, and we must prepare. Azog has called for the goblin armies, and other allies to march with him, perhaps you should do the same." I suggested, and watched as Thorin glared at me.

"You think I will call upon my enemies for help when they march upon the mountain every day asking for the gold that belongs to me, and my family?!" Thorin stood, and shouted at me.

"It was only a suggestion, Thorin…" I whisper. He's changed, and not in a good way either. He's more dark, serious, and… sick. It was the gold sickness.

"It's King Thorin Oakenshield to you! You should be hanged for saying such a thing…" He walked over to the other side of the room and observed a painting on the wall. The four Assassins stood to protest, but Thorin turned swiftly and glared at them.

"... but I am a merciful king, and I will release you from punishment. I must take my leave now." Thorin storms from the room as I sit on the bed in shock after what just happened.

"What will we do now?" Alena questions, and I turn to her with a serious expression.

"We will send a raven to the King of the Mirkwood Realm, and Bard the Bowman of Lake-Town. If the two men send their armies, we will give them a good share of the gold." I explain, and Alec's eyes widen.

"You've gone mad!"

"Perhaps so, but at least I'm taking action. After we settle a deal with the King and the Bowman, we will prepare to fight to the death." I finish, and lean forward in bed.

"We can't allow you to fight in your condition." Elijah protests, and I laugh.

"I'm an Assassin, and I once said I am part of no company but my own, but everything has changed. I need you all to stick together, and protect each other with your life. I will fight for my friends, my family, and the Valar until the last breath leaves my cold, dead body!" I rally the Assassins, and I let out a breath, accepting the fact this could be my last few days in Middle Earth.

How'd I do? Tell me in the comments below! The next few chapters should be action-packed, but that all depends on my pacing, and how I decide to do things. I no longer have the transcript to follow and make sure everything is on point, haha!

Keep smiling, and have a great day! I love you all so much! :D Feel free to message me about anything!