Chapter 9

Hello, guys! I just returned from a field trip to see the powerful and deep To Kill A Mockingbirdplay performed by the National Players. I was quite busy this morning and sadly couldn't post this :/ but it's here! The play was wonderful, and afterwards we ate lunch and had a socratic seminar with the actors and discussed the book! It was an experience I will not forget! :)

Holy cow, you guys are amazing! I would like to thank everyone for the support! You guys have truly made my day! :) Okay, so this chapter digs into a portion of Maia's background and why she joined the quest. It was amazing to write, and I can't wait for the next chapter! This one is short but oh well, the next chapter will make up for it! I hope...

OH, btw - I got hired as a official songwriter for my best friend who happens to be a singer :) so glad to not only be working with you fabulous nerds, but her as well!

Enjoy!

I returned to my room after speaking with Náriel and Záriel who barely helped with the situation. Náriel kept making sexual jokes and Záriel suggested I rest, and stop stressing over everything. I tore off my kirtle, and sat on the bed wearing nothing but my chest binding and a pair of leggings. I groaned and pushed myself off of the bed, walking over to the mirror. Scars had painted themselves on my tanned skin, and memories formed from them.

"Azog, we found the girl."

"Bring her to me at once."

I was dragged forward and thrown to the stone, cold ground in front of him. I looked up slowly, my body shaking not only from the cold, but fear as well.

"What's your name?" Azog asks, raising a brow.

"Maia." I answer coldly, glaring up at the Orcs that stood beside me.

"Undress her." Azog orders with a evil smirk.

The Orcs tore at what little clothing I had and left me bare in front of the horrid beast. He began circling me, and that it when he noticed something.

"What's the meaning of this?" He pokes at my back with the cold hook that replaced his arm. I shiver.

"Hm?" I ask, trembling with fear. In my short life, this would have to be the first time I was afraid of someone.

"You wear a mark on your back, and I demand you tell me what it means." He explains as he circles me.

"It's the mark of the Assassin." I answer simply.

"You're the Assassin!" Azog grips me by the arm, roughly lifting me up to my knees and preparing to swing. I closed my eyes, and waited for the hit that never happened.

"I would, but you're too beautiful… I'll have to ruin you tonight in another way." He smirks, and drops me to the ground. I curl up into a ball as he and his followers enter a war tent to discuss war matters leaving a lone Warg to watch me. While the Warg is looking away, I quickly stand and silently make a run for it, deciding there would be no time to dress or collect my weapons.

"The Assassin has escaped!"

"Let her go, I'll find her sooner or later… and I'll break her in every way possible."

I wince at such a horrid memory, but it's in the past and I remind myself that I am safe here in Imaldris… I place one hand on my upper back and I close my eyes.

The Mark of the Assassin.

It's the Wings of the Warriors, and only an Assassin could be born with the mark… sadly, as far as I know, I am the only Assassin in Middle Earth. Perhaps after this adventure is over, I could search for others like me, other Assassins…

Knock, knock.

"Give me a moment!" I shout, diving for the dresser and pulling on a loose green tunic. I walked over to the door and made myself presentable before making an appearance. Náriel and Záriel were standing there, and their hands were placed perfectly on their hips.

"Are you forgetting the day?" Záriel scolds as she raises a brow, clearly expecting an answer. I shake my head slowly and allow them entrance to the room.

"It's your birthday!" Náriel exclaims as she follows her older sister into the room. I close the door behind them and watch as the twins get to work on gowns. Had I truly forgotten today was the day of my birth? Oh, Valar.

"Hurry, we must get you ready for the feast in your honor!" Záriel shouts, dragging me over to the folding panel. I'm dressed into spaghetti strap, royal blue kirtle, matching partially see-through surcoat and midnight black lace up boots.

"Oh, you are beautiful!" Náriel smiles, and clasps her hands together. I shake my head and shuffle over to the vanity. Záriel braids my hair into a fishtail and slips on a golden circlet. Shortly after preparation, Náriel had made a flower crown with a royal blue Hydrangea she found in the Gardens, added "star dust", a sparkly gel made from the Elves (A/N: liquid glitter), around my eyes and altered the gowns to define my curves.

"Your escort shall be here soon to take you to the feast." Náriel announces as I stand and hug the twins for their help.

The sun had begun to set, and a horn blew in the distance. Outside the door, I heard hustle and bustle as all dwarves, elves and a hobbit joined for the feast. A knock on the door caused us all to turn and I stood there wondering who it could be who would escorting me to dinner. Záriel opened the door and my breathing hitched as I caught sight of my escort.

I wonder who her escort will be... HAHAHA, I'm so evil. I love the feedback I am receiving not only from here, but from Wattpad as well and I cannot thank you enough, especially evenina! Till the next update!