Part twenty two : school.

-Ponyboy-

Johnny has to sleep on the couch when he's staying here, I understand why but I just wish we were even allowed to go near each other without supervision. In the words of Darry "I'm being generous, so be grateful". 

It was around one in the morning, I couldn't sleep, things felt uneasy at the moment. Soda was asleep beside me, he has always been a deep sleeper, I'm sure he won't notice if I get up. As for Darry, he's almost on the other side of the house, it may be a small house but he won't hear.

I watched every step I took carefully, making sure not to make any noise, noticing where the creaks in the floor are. I couldn't risk getting in any more trouble. I reached the living room at last and saw Johnny was awake. I rushed over.

"Are you okay?" I grabbed ahold of his shoulders.

"Yeah, I just couldn't sleep, I keep running through my head all the possibilities of tomorrow." He said anxiously.

I held his hands in mine and held his gaze.

"We're gonna be okay, anything that happens, I will be there with you. Nobody is gonna find out." I said trying to calm him down a bit.

"About what?" He was lost,

"Us Johnny baby." I brushed his bangs from his forehead softly.

His face lit up, he liked those kind of pet names.

"You're my safe haven Pon." He said sudden.

"And you're mine, Johnnycake." I said back.

"I love you." Johnny said touching his delicate pink lips to my forehead.

"I love you." I held him closer, tighter.

Johnny fell asleep in my open arms. It was peaceful and reassuring, knowing I could love him like this in the comfort of my own home, not under a tree in the pouring rain, not in an empty parking lot.

I headed upstairs shortly after to avoid getting caught by Darry, Soda wouldn't care as much. I slipped back under the sheets next to Soda, still snoring and most likely stuck in a dream. He often tells me of his dreams, they are interesting. My brain shut off and I set off into my slumber.

The moon and stars hid under the sun faster than I would have liked. It was morning.

I was awaken by the sound of pots and pans, and the smell of eggs. I liked it. I sluggishly walked over to the dresser and picked out a plain white shirt and blue jeans with a small hole in the knee. They were my favourite so they're worn. I took the hair gel from the bathroom and ran some through my long brown hair, giving it a greased back look. My go to. I hurried downstairs to find Johnny dressed and sitting on the couch, curled up. 

"Morning." Darry said from the kitchen.

"Good morning." I replied distant.

I sped over to where Johnny was sitting and plopped myself directly beside him, throwing my arms around him.

"How'd you sleep?" I said roughing up his hair.

"Good, best sleep I've had in a while." He rubbed his eyes.

I glanced over at the kitchen expecting Darry to be staring us down, he wasn't, he was caught up in his professional breakfast making skills. I snuck in a kiss to Johnny of course, hopefully calming his nerves.

Breakfast was quiet, but not awkward. I suppose no one had anything to say. 

After we ate, we were a few minutes off schedule, so Johnny and I practically ran out the door. When we were out of sight from the house we began talking.