part twenty nine: johnny

Soda and Steve said they had planned for them and Pony and I to do something fun this weekend, it's much needed. Jan is still in the hospital and won't come back until Monday, Darry has been staying with her, coming back here once in a while to change clothes and other things. 

"Do you know what we're doing with Soda and Steve?" Pony said changing into day clothes.

"No idea." I said with a smirk. I looked back down at the book I was reading, something Stephen king, the front was worn. I was sitting on the bed, not dressed yet.

"You should get dressed J. You wanna borrow something?" He leaped to his dresser.

"Sure." I didn't look up.

Pony tossed a cotton t-shirt onto my lap. 

"Thank you." I finally looked up, looking at him through furrowed brows.

I set my novel down, changing my t-shirt. I had decided to keep the jeans I had yesterday.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door, it must be Soda, I thought.

Pony opened the door to reveal I was correct. 

"You two want something to eat before we go?" He leaned on the frame.

I looked at Pon, then at him, I shook my head.

"I'm okay." He replied.

"Okay, Steve will be here soon, come down in five." He said walking out backwards.

Pony gave me a look as if to see if I was ready. I nodded, knowing his expressions fairly well by now, of course.

We only waited a few minutes before Steve barged in, again, of course. 

"Woo!" He screamed. What a way to make an entrance.

"Good morning to you too, Steve." Pony said with a sarcastic tone. I laughed.

Steve stood beside the door, holding it open, signaling for us to hurry out. He waved his arm around, he seems like he's thrilled.

Wherever we were going, it was within walking distance, Soda and Steve took lead as Pony and I reluctantly followed. We were intrigued of what he was so excited for. I don't think anything real good has happened around here in a long time, so I'm hoping this could be the first in a while.

Steve and Soda stopped walking when we arrived at what looked to be an old abandoned arcade. There wasn't a sign upfront, but there were a few windows and many bright colours. Steve willingly opened the door as the three of us carefully step foot. I looked around, there were still a pile of games and the obvious, loud carpets. I tugged at a pully for one game, it turned on. Soda turned around shocked.

"No way!" His childish side came out. He began poking and playing with it.

I wandered around and saw Pony near the back looking through something, I went over.

"What'd you find?" I crouched down beside him.

"Some old comics. Looks like it at least." He was so focused he didn't even look up.

The comics were super dusty and looked as if they were a million years old... maybe not that long.. maybe ten. Suddenly, I heard a loud drop, Pony and I turned our heads instantaneously. Soda had dropped a box from a higher up shelf. We all went over to see what it was all about. Inside the venerable box were some tokens for the games, more comics, prizes and a ring of keys. Pony and I met eyes, I think we thought the same things. 

I lightly picked up the keys, jingling them around as dust fell off. 

"What do you think these are for?" I blew dust into Pony's face.

"Gah! Don't do that!" He spit out particles of it.

"Sorry." I said trying not to laugh.

"I don't know J, maybe a backroom or something?" He seemed not at all interested, I dropped the subject, though, I was still invested. Steve had already long gone back to playing with the games, not that he had much luck, half of them were broken and dusty, the other half you couldn't tell what they were if you tried.

"Hey kid, pass me those tokens." Steve said pointing to me.

I reached back in the ancient box and pulled out a small container with them, along with a few unwanted spiderwebs. He quickly returned to trying to repair the vintage game, most likely with no luck, I didn't pay much attention. I mean, I never really paid attention to anyone other than Ponyboy, but that's besides the point. Speaking of such, I glanced over my right shoulder and saw him and Soda with the set of keys I had so carefully examined earlier. I stood up and rushed over.

"It's for this room right here!" Soda said jamming them in the slot. Steve still too distracted to notice.

The key fit in, it took some trouble to turn fully but it did. Behind the door was even darker than the arcade itself. All I could really see were what appeared to be old bed frames, maybe some old bedroom furniture. I felt Pony place his hand on my shoulder, gently pulling me into the unknown darkness with him, Soda not far in front.

*Sorry this one's somewhat short, I'll post the rest tomorrow, I just wanted to get something out for now!"