Part fourteen: Ponyboy

I ran home, I didn't stop and when I got there I was totally out of breath. Something was triggered when I was with Johnny that just set me off, made me feel all types of emotions, not sure which ones though. I'm sure Johnny will come home tonight though, despite whatever just happened, I know he will.

As I reached for the door handle I was greeted by my brother Sodapop. 

"Again?" He said sarcastically.

"Don't tell Darry, please Soda." I begged.

He just smirked and widened the door for me.

"Bad night?" He said returning to the couch.

"Yeah, I don't know where Johnny went. Maybe January's." I said taking my shoes off.

"You guys are talking to January again?" He said perking up.

"Yeah, is-is that a problem?" I froze.

Soda just looked down, then back at me.

"She's bad news Pon," He seemed regretful.

"What?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Come sit down." He said pointing to the couch.

I was confused, but I proceeded to sit next to him.

"Listen Pony, I know we were close with her, but she- she blackmailed us."

"Wha- who's us?" I said sitting up a bit.

"Calm down okay." He placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Soda, cmon I need answers, she's probably with Johnny as we speak."

"Okay, okay." "She had something on me and Darry, and she threatened to tell if we didn't give her what she wanted." He explained.

This can't be right, she was so supportive of Johnny and I, she seemed like she had turned a corner.

"Soda I can't believe this." I complained.

He looked up at me, "I know, just- please be careful around her."

"Maybe I should call her, ask where Johnny is." I suggested.

"Pon, it's pretty late, maybe you should just-" I stood up and grabbed the landline before he could finish.

I dialed Veronica's house number, I remembered it from a couple summers ago.

"H-hello?" A voice whispered.

"Oh, uh hey it's Ponyboy, is January there?" I replied.

"Oh god uh, I was just woken up by the phone and I haven't seen her. I don't think she came back." Veronica said upset.

"Say, Veronica.." I said.

"Yes?" 

"Would you be able to sneak out? I think Johnny is with January, and we should find them." I said hopeful.

"Yeah sure, meet at the sev in 20." She hung up.

I turned around to see Soda with crossed arms.

"Sneaking out?" He questioned.

"Can you please cover for me? Please Soda I'll return the favour." I begged.

"Sure," He agreed. "Be safe."

I ran over to hug him, then slipped on my converse and was out of there so fast. It was a bit cold but nothing I couldn't handle, I was just hoping socs weren't out at this time, otherwise I would be fucked.

I was about a block from the 7-11 when I heard a voice from behind. 

"Ponyboy!" It was familiar.

I looked back and saw Veronica.

"Hey." I replied.

"What's going on? Did you talk to Johnny?" She asked, she seemed worried.

"Uh, not since- earlier. He never came back to my house, around 12." I stated.

"Gosh, last time I saw Jan, I was just falling asleep, perhaps around the same time and I think she left the house. Her bag wasn't there and she took some things." Veronica added.

"What kind of things?" I asked.

"Uh- some food, clothes-"

"Ronnie. I think she ran away." I interrupted.

Her eyes became wide and her face went pale.

"Wha- what are we going to do?" She shivered.

"We're going to find them." I insisted.

"Is there any place Jan was talking about going, maybe wanting to go, or planning?" I added on.

"She's been blabbering on something about California, you- you dont't think she'd actually go? Right?" She realized, she probably did go. I saw it on her face.

I put a hand on her shoulder in support. "We'll find them, I promise."

She just nodded. "It's much too late tonight to go on, but we can tomorrow morning, early." She suggested.

"Works for me." I said.

She smiled, "Same spot? Say, 6?

"Sure thing." 

"Goodnight Ponyboy, see you soon."

"Night."