Part one: Ponyboy

As I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had more than two things on my mind. And this time, neither of them were Paul Newman, or a ride home. Instead I was thinking about Johnny. Johnny is my best buddy, I've known him since we were in grade school. Although he's two years older than me, we get along real well. The other thing on my mind was the thought that I might get jumped by the socs again, the rival group. I was panicked because last time they cut my neck up real good. My breathing was heavy and I couldn't think straight, I broke a sweat. I was reassured when I heard the loud roaring of what sounded like Dally's old busted up convertible. "Ponyboy, what the hell are you doing out on your own again? Don't you remember last time?!" Dally was pulling up beside me. I didn't know what to say this time so I jumped in the backseat of the old red thing he called a car. "You hungry kid?" Dally exclaimed. I nodded with a smirk. Whenever my mind has nothing to think about, it goes straight to Johnny, I wonder if he's okay, what's he doin'? 

Dally and I drove to a nearby diner which no one cared enough to ever learn the name of. I had just finished watching some movie about a poor boy who fell in love with a princess, and I know, it sounds dumb but I was really bored and nothing else was playing. It was like a forbidden love kind of thing, one where if they found out about them, it would rain hellfire or something like that. I really enjoyed those movies that you would think to make fun of. I analyze them, and sometimes pretend I'm the protagonist. In this case, falling in love with a princess did seem dumb to me. Falling in love in general just felt stupid and a waste of time. 

Dally and I took the food to go, Darry would be expecting the movie to be done by now and me back in the house. Strangely, I was still thinking about Johnny, it had been like this for about a week, maybe something is wrong and I sense it? I don't know. 

"Let's head back before Darry kills you." Dally said jokingly.

"And he won't kill you?" I replied smart.

"Nah kid, I'll kill him first." Again, joking. He smirked.

We headed off. 

When we pulled up to my house, Soda was on the porch having a smoke, he waved at us, standing up and heading this way. I got out of the car. He passed me the cig and went to tackle Dally. Darry came outside to see what all the noise was. He stood fiercly by the front door, arms crossed. After a moment he came over to me, took the cig from my hand.

"How many today?" He questioned me.

"It's Soda's." I replied quickly.

He roughed up my hair, dropping the cig and joining Dally and Soda in their tackle.