part thirty two.

"What does it say?" Ponyboy sounded desperate to know, they all did. I scanned the first few sentences before realizing this was a letter, perhaps that and something else.

"January and Curtis residence,
As you may know, I am Mr. March, Veronica's father. I am writing this and including a form (not to be related to the unfortunate occurrences) because the police have made a horrifying discovery within the death of my daughter. I feel it is important I inform January foremost as you have lived in my home and I know you best, as did Veronica. I know this will be hard for you to hear, it was just as hard for me. It's important you and the Curtis family are aware however. I am deeply scarred and heartbroken to announce the findings of the police.
An alarm was set off in an old, abandoned arcade game building that sent the police there, after searching, they found what seemed to be an old bedroom of some sort. I'm not sure if you're aware, but they took my daughter's body to the Tulsa hospital morgue where it was later found missing in the night. These words I regret to write, but, her body was found in the arcade bedroom. Under some furniture and dirt. My wife and I have discussed of what to do next and we are unsure, the police are looking into this and hopefully soon we will have more answers. With this newfound grief, I have also found the will to apologize and make amends to you. I know what happened, I may not want to repeat the words of the happenings but I want you to know I am sorry, truly. You are like a daughter to me January and I hope you can find the figure of a father somewhere within me. I lost my girl, and you are the closest thing I have to her now. I'm sorry for everything.
As for the forms, my wife and I have discussed, and we would like your permission to adopt you. We know you do not have a family, we also know we have been that for you for a few years, and known you since you were little. Please think about this, and know we are always here for you. Mrs. March will be back in town in a few weeks, we are hoping you will have an answer for us by then. I know this is a lot to put on you right now, take your time, or at least think about these things. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Mr. and Mrs. March"

I had read aloud to my highly intrigued audience, some parts I honestly wish I didn't.

"Holy shit." Soda raised a hand to his mouth. Pony kept his eyes on the floor, I could tell he didn't know what to say.

"W-w-when we- so.." Pony began to stutter. "Her b-body in t-the,"

I couldn't help but to break into tears and drop to the ground. She doesn't deserve this, she doesn't deserve to be a hero and be dumped in an abandoned fucking building.

Soda caught me in my fall midway, I just crumbled in his arms balling. Pony ran out as if trying not to upset me further. I glanced up through watery glass eyes and saw Steve. He looked completely pissed.

"I'm sorry but there is no way in hell those excuses of parents are adopting you, Jan." He said crossing and waving around one arm.

"After what that dirty old man did to you." His anger was growing furiously.

Ponyboy was nowhere to be seen, he wouldn't have let Steve get so mad.

"We have to fight this." He stopped pacing at stared into Soda's eyes. I looked up at him.

"How?" Soda said slowly, still holding me.

Steve stroked his jaw as if to think of a reasonable answer. "We'll figure it out."

I could tell Soda didn't have much faith in him by the way he sighed after.

"The March's are loaded and known around here, there's no way we can fight this, trust me, when they want something, they get it. Me reminding them of their dead daughter isn't giving me any choice here." I sniffled.

Soda raised his head slightly to look at Steve so they could both take in what I said.

Steve crouched down and held my arms. "What do you want?" He asked gently.

"I-I don't know." I hesitated.

"Where's Pony?" Soda realized.

"Probably looking for Johnny." I was relieved at the subject change.

Steve's stress grew with every breath I took. He was being strangely protective of me.

"Steve?" I said all so suddenly in the moment of silence.

"Yeah kiddo?"

"W-why do you care about what happens to me so much?"

He stopped, as if remembering something, or regretting something. I lowered my expression.

"Just- you're like a sister to me okay? I care about you." He tried to smile, even a little bit.

"Thank you." I showed gratitude.