Part nine: Ponyboy

Ponyboy:

Johnny and I were already almost late to school, so we skipped breakfast. As we rushed out the door Johnny turned to me and called a race. I smirked and started sprinting toward the building.

"God damn, I forgot you did track!" Johnny said trying to catch up.

Suddenly I felt weighed down as he jumped on to my back, I looked back up at him.

"Cheater!" I exclaimed.

"Shhhh." He said covering my mouth.

I carried him until we were about a block away from the school. He smiled and came beside me again. When we arrived, we had to say goodbye for now, it's only two hours, we have third period together because I do higher english.

"See you later, love you." Johnny whispered to me as he trailed off to the opposite end of the building.

I smiled and started over toward my math class. I never really did like math, but Johnny gets it good, so he helps me.

As I took my seat near the middle, I heard a group of giggles behind me, getting louder every second. I turned around only to see none other than the younger socs. Though I went up a grade from what I'm supposed to be in, these socs were still a year younger than the ones that beat me up. I was pulling out my book when I heard footsteps beside me, I turned slowly.

"Hey Ponyboy." A soc named Jake said to me.

"Can I help you?" I replied sarcastically.

"There's this rumour, that you and Johnny-"

"It's not true." I said interrupting him as fast as I could.

"Woah, okay. No need to get defensive, unless of course you-" He said, I interrupted him again. "Nothing about any of that is true, okay?" I said annoyed.

Jake just smirked and walked away.

Was this actually a rumour? Who knows? Who came up with it? I was panicked. If anyone were to find out, we could both be killed.

I tried to think nothing of it, but the thought of us being exposed kept coming to my head. I buried my head into my desk for now.

An hour and a half had passed, more giggles.

I was shaking and on the verge of tears. I couldn't stop thinking of the worst possible scenarios. My head was spinning. All suddenly, I ran out of the class so fast and headed into the washroom. I thought I saw Johnny washing his hands. I turned back and I saw his eyes widen. He ran over to me and held me close.

"Pon," He said grabbing my face.

I pulled away. He frowned.

I led him into a stall and held his hands.

He stroked my face and hair as I continued to cry. It went on for a minute before I took a deep breath.

"There are rumours, of us." I said once I caught my breath.

Johnny looked shocked and leaned in closer.

"Of what? Who said it?" He seemed scared.

"Jake Jones." I replied. "He thinks we're together, I mean we are but-"

He took a deep breath and looked up. I held his face, reassuring him.

"Johnny, baby, we're gonna be okay, I denied it." I said calmly.

He looked up at me. " Pon, that's not gonna stop it from going further, and plus, I'm more worried about you."

"Don't worry about me, I just got anxious, and I ran out of the class." I explained.

"Pony that probably looked real suspicious." He said seriously,

"Don't worry about it okay? We'll be okay." "Everyone knows we're best friends, nothing will be suspected." I tried to calm him down.

"Maybe we should," Johnny paused, "Avoid each other at school." He finished.

I looked at him concerned, "Johnnycakes, you know how hard that's gonna be."

"I know, I know but it could keep us safe, okay?" He said once again holding my hands.

I nodded agreeingly.

Johnny left the washroom first, then I counted to one minute and left after him. This was going to be hard. I tried to hold back more tears as I walked back to math. I kept replaying earlier, my anxiety rising with every step I took.