Pt. 10

After that fiasco me and Sam decided to go investigate with Constance's husband, Joseph Welch. He knocked on the door and an man possibly around his 40s wearing a baseball cap answered.

"Hi, uh- are you Joseph Welch?" Sam asked.

"Yeah?"

"We'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind?"

"About what?" Sam handed him a picture that I didn't recognized, when was it was taken?

"You recognize the man?" He pointed to Dad.

"Yeah, he was older but that's him." He said giving back the picture to Sam.

"He came by three or four days ago, said he was a reporter."

"That's right. We're working on a story together."

"Well, I don't know what the hell kind of story you guys are working on- the questions he asked me."

"About your late wife? Constance? I'm sorry for your losses." I said sympathetically. He nodded as a Thanks and looked back to Sam.

"He asked me she was buried."

"And where is that again?"

"What, I got to go through these twice?"

"We'd like to pay our respects," I said before Sam could say anything else.

"In a plot behind my old place over on Breckinridge."

"Why did you move?" Sam asked.

"I'm not gonna live in a house where my children died."

"Mr. Welch, did you ever marry again?"

"No way. Constance- she was the love of my life, prettiest woman I ever known."

"So you had a happy marriage?" I looked at Sam then at Mr. Welch who hesitated but nodded.

"Definitely."

"Well that should do it. Thanks for your time." Sam said before waking away, I followed right besides him.

"What was that for?" He ignored me before turning to Mr. Welch.

"Mr. Welch you ever heard of a woman in white?" Sam asked him.

"A what?"

"A woman in white of sometimes a weeping woman. It's a ghost story. Well, it's more of a phenomenon, really um- they're spirits. They've been sighted for hundreds of years, dozens of places in Hawaii and Mexico, lately in Arizona, Indiana."

What are you doing Sammy?

"All these are different women, you understand, but all share the same story."

"Boy I don't care much for nonsense." Joseph said before walking away only for Sam to speak up again.

"You see, when they were alive, their his peers ungrateful to them,"

Oh...OH! Nice thinking Sammy!

"And these women, basically suffered from temporary insanity, murdered their children." Joseph stopped walking  and turned to Sam.

"Then, once they realized what they had done, they took their own lives. So now their spirits are cursed, walking back roads, waterways, and if they find an unfaithful man, they kill him and that man is never seen again."

"You- you think- you think that has something to do with Constance, you smartass?" I glared that the man. He better watch his words.

"You tell me."

"I mean, maybe- maybe I made some mistakes, but no matter what I did- Constance never would have killed her own children. Now you two get the hell out of here and you don't come back." Joseph was shaking and holding back tears, guilt? Anger? Maybe both. Then he walked away.

I patted Sam on the back as he sighed.

"You did good. Now we know the reason. Now, come on, we got an idiotic brother to bust." He nodded as we got back inside the car and began to drive off.

We parked near the police station and I saw a phone booth and me and Sammy went went towards it and I took out some quarters and put them in the slot before dialing 911.

"911 operater what's your emergency?"

"Please help! There's someone shooting outside!"

"Okay please stay calm, where are you?"

"Wh-whiteford road! Please hurry!"

"Okay police are on the way please stay on the line for now-" then I hung up before she could say anything else.

"Nice acting skills."

"What can I say? I'm a natural born actor."

"Come on, let's go put her to rest."

-/-

While we drove Sam's phone got a call. I grabbed the phone and answered before putting it on speaker. "Fake 911 phone call? I don't know, that's pretty illegal. Who was it?"

"You're welcome." I said with a grin.

"Ah, should've know. Listen we gotta talk."

"Tell us about it. So the husband was unfaithful. We are dealing with a woman in white and she's buried behind her old house. I can't figure out why he hasn't destroyed the corpse yet."

"Well that's what I'm trying to tell you. He's gone. Dad left Jericho."

"What? How do you know?" Dad left? Without finishing the job? I thought confused.

"I've got his journal."

"He doesn't go anywhere without that thing." I was so shocked.

"Well, he did this time."

"What's it say?"

"Same old exMarine crap. When he wants to let us know where he's going."

"Coordinates. Where to?" I asked.

"I'm not sure yet."

"What the hell's going on?" I looked back to the road and went wide eye.

"SAMMY!" I dropped the phone and held on to the dashboard and put an arm in front of Sam as he stepped on the break making us lean forward and hit the seat.

"Oh my god Sammy are you- AH!" I was flung out of the car.

"DAPH!" Was the last thing I heard before blacking out.