Pt. 16

"HELP!" It yelled again.

"It's trying to draw us out. Just stay cool. Stay put." Dean warned.

"Inside the magic circle?" Roy mocked. I sighed and listened. I could hear it growling. It was growing closer and closer. The grow was closer and I could tell it was circling around us. Roy shot at it and it growled again. Then Roy shot at it again hitting the creature. "I hit it!" He ran to it.

"Roy no! Roy!" Dean was ignored. I ran up to him with my gun. "Don't move!" He told them.

"Stay put!" I yelled as we ran after Roy. "Roy!"

"It's over here! UgH!" I went wide and ran faster in front of Dean.

"Roy!" I called out looking around.

"Anything?"

"No. Nothing..." They were gone...

-:-

I sat next to Sammy who laid his back on a tree trunk playing with the rosary on Dad's journal.

"We'll kill this bastard and then we'll keep looking for dad. I promise, Sammy." I pat his arm. He nodded and sat up walking towards the group. I followed behind him.

"So, we've got half a chance in daylight. And I, for one...want to kill this evil son of a bitch." I smiled at him.

"Well, hell, you know I'm in."  Dean said.

"Us too." I said motioning to me and Colt. He pulled out Dad's journal and flipped to the page about Windigos.

"Windigo is a cree Indian word. It means, 'Evil that devours.'"

"They're hundreds of years old." Dean said interrupting Sammy. "Each one was a man, sometimes an Indian or other times a frontiersman or a miner or hunter."

"How's a man turn into one of those things?" Hailey asked.

"Well, it's always the same. During the harsh winters a guy would find himself starving, no supplies or help, so in short, he becomes a cannibal to survive. They would eat other members or his tribe or camp." I explained.

"Like a Donner party." Hailey's brother said.

"Cultures all over the world believe that eating human flesh gives a person certain abilities- speed, strength, immortality."

"If you ate enough of it, over years, you become this less-than-human thing. You're always hungry." Dean explained.

"You loose your humanity." I said.

"So, if that's true, how can Tommy or her friend still be alive?" I sighed.

"You're not gonna like it."

"Tell me." She said confident.

"They basically, they're like any animal during a winter, they know how to store food well. But they can also last a long winter without it, they hibernate for years at a time. And when I mean store, they'll keep their victims alive so it can feed whenever they want." I said wincing at the last part.

Don't worry Eddie, we're coming.

"If your brother is alive, it's keep him somewhere dark, hidden, and safe. The same goes with her friend. We got to track it back there."

"And then how do we stop it?"

"Guns and knives are useless. So since it's more of a winter based creature. The only thing that can do the the trick is by setting the bastard on fire." Colt said smiling. He always did like setting things on fire which was a bit concerning but it usually helps in some jobs.

We ripped some of the clothes scattered around and placed them in beer bottles making petrol bombs. Once we finished we began to search for any clues for the Windigo.

"Dean! Daph!" We ran to Sam as he was looking up. We looked at him confused and looked up to see bloody scratch marks on the trees.

"You know," Sammy came between us, "I was thinking that those claw prints, so clear and distinct, they were almost too easy to follow."

"So you think he's-" I was interuupted by loud growling. We all turned and raised our guard. We saw three branches move from it's speed. Hailey suddenly scream and we heard a thud from behind us. Sammy went to Hailey and saw Roy on the ground. Dean went to go check him.

"His neck's broken." The growling began to grow louder.

"Run, run! Go! GO!" I yelled pushing them away. We all began running back towards the camp site. Most of us were a bit seperated but I was able to see all of them in my view. Then Hailey's brother fell. Me and Sammy helped him up and Colt ran ahead of me to go with my brother and Hailey.

"Come on lets go!" I said as he helped him run. Then we heard another scream which sounded like Hailey. I went wide eye and looked at Sammy.

"I can run." Hailey's brother said. We let him go and ran to the spot where we heard the scream only to see no one and the broken top of the petrol bomb and Colt's gun on the floor.