Pt. 14

"Anyways, I don't see the difference it would make. You wouldn't believe me. Nobody ever did." No one ever does, that's why we hunters exist. To help stop it and let them know that they're aren't crazy.

"Mr. Shaw..." Sam said sitting down next to him. "What did you see?" He sighed.

"Nothing. It moved too fast to see. It hid too well. I heard it though. A roar...like no man or animal I ever heard."

"It came at night?" He nodded. "Got inside your tent?"

"It got inside our cabin." What? So maybe not a vamp or a Werewolf.

"I was sleeping in front of the fireplace when it came in. Didn't smash a window or break the door- it unlocked it. Do you know of a bear that could do something like that?" My brother and I glanced at each other. "I didn't wake up until I heard my parent's screaming."

"It killed them?"

"Dragged them off into the night...Why it left me alive- I've been asking that myself that ever since...It did leave me this though." He pulled his shirt down below his neck to reveal a large claw mark. I'm not sure what we're dealing with anymore..."There's something evil in those woods. It was some sort of demon."

-/-

"Spirits and demons don't have to unlock doors if they wanted, they just go through the walls." I nodded.

"So it's something else- something corporeal."

"'Corporeal'? Excuse me, Professor." I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up. So what do you think?"

"The claws, the speed that it moves - could be a skinwalker, maybe a black dog. Whatever we're talking about, we're talking about a creature, and it's corporeal, which means we can kill it.

-/-

We began packing up some guns and ammunition.

"We can't let that Hailey girl go out there." I said.

"What are we gonna tell her- she can't go into the woods because of a big, scary monster?"

"Yes. Dean look- if we let them go out there, they can and will be killed. If anything they're just walking pieces of meat. I understand her more than you guys do. But we can't."

"Her brother's missing. She's not gonna sit this out. No, we go with her, we protect her, and we keep our eyes peeled fr our fuzzy predator friend." I sighed.

"So finding dad's not enough? Now we gotta babysit too?"

"Sam!"

"What?" I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out.

"I- Nevermind. Look Colt and Eddie decided to come along for extra help."

-/-

We parked our cars in front of Hailey's group. "Guy's got room for a couple more?" Dean asked.

"You want to come with us?" She asked.

"Who are these guys?"

"Apparently this is all the park service could muster up for search and rescue."

"You're rangers?"

"That's right." I stood by Colt and Eddie. Eddie carried our weapons in a backpack.

"And you're hiking out in biker boots and jeans?"

"Oh sweetheart, I don't do shorts."

"Let's go." I said to them as we followed them.

"You think this is funny? It's dangerous backcountry out there. Her brother might be hurt."

"Believe me, I know, how dangerous it can be. We just want to help them find her brother. That's all." we passed dean and walked next to Sam giving him a brief and small introduction. They gave each other handshakes.

"This is Colt and this is Eddie, guys, this is my little brother, Sam."

"Whoa, I thought you said 'little'." Eddie said causing Sam to chuckle.

"Thank you for taking care of my sister."

"If anything, she took care of us." Colt said and Eddie nodded agreeing. Then we were off. Sam and us were in the back.

"So what do you think it is?" Eddie whispered.

"Skinwalker, maybe?"

"You said it has big claws and can move?" I nodded.

"I don't think we've encountered something like this before." Colt said.

"Roy, you said you did a little hunting?" Dean asked.

"Yeah, more than a little."

"What kind of furry critters do you hunt?"

"Mostly Buck. Sometimes bear."

"Tell me, uh, Bambi or Yogi ever hunt you back?" I saw Roy grab my brother's back. Me, my brother, and the boys kept are guard up and high ready to fight. A loud CLANG! was heard.

"You should watch where you're stepping...ranger." I narrowed my eyes.

"It's a bear trap." I sighed shaking my head as we continued on.

Again, I saw my brother behind held but this time by Hailey. We looked at him and he nodded letting us know we could go on. I sighed as we passed him.