42 ♔ An Emperor and A Crab

Early morning and Diana was already in old clothes she found in her room. She met with the servants last night and was updated with their lives. Some children became knights. Most fishers became owners of small ships, trading with the capital. And the island now has a territory-owned bar and restaurant and a few structures, including a school.

Miryam, Alec's nursemaid before, together with Calenta, was already married to Bart Topenhagen, the new doctor Xander brought after the death of the previous one. Like Bastian and the other servants, she continued to work in the manor, which also became Xander's residence in his visits.

For this day, Diana rose earlier than the servants, ready to catch the biggest Barsewaz for the butler. But before that, there's something she must do first.

Just after she tied her short hair, there was a knock on the door.

"It is I, My Lady," Miryam's muffled voice said.

Diana let her in, in the pretense of helping her in the morning, even if she was already up and dressed.

She handed the maid the letter she wrote for Alec. The boy is smart that they even made codes in case of emergencies. She just wished that such a method won't be used, and they'd settle to vague names.

Miryam nodded in determination as she placed the letter in her pocket. Most of all, she was glad that the young master was doing well. She immediately left to deliver the letter by trusted others.

With her wooden pail, spear, and lungs filled with the chilly early morning, Diana exited the manor. Her steps stopped by Xander, waiting at the main door.

"A little more, and all the big ones will swim deeper." He, too, had his own pail and spear.

What are you doing here? She withheld her thoughts. "Good morning, Your Majesty. What great timing. Fishing as well?" She then passed him by.

"Fishing with you," he said, following behind her. "We have to hurry before the tides pull thin."

It was what he said. Although Barsewaz fish was abundant, the bigger ones only swim closer to shore at colder waters and high tide.

Her wondering expression must have reflected on her face that Xander provided a vague explanation. "I learned things."

She didn't comment and continued her walk, neither discouraging nor encouraging him to come. She could not stop him from harvesting in the waters that she didn't own anymore.

The sun was peeking in the horizon, and fishermen boats were also returning from their night hunt. The main island of Alcotta is slowly rising to life. They had met two knights on duty on separate occasions until they finally reached the shore.

Diana shivered as she dipped her feet into the water and finally stepped in. To protect herself from the cold, she now wore rolled trousers and tunic under her dress tied at the hem. She stopped when the water reached just a little above her knee. Diana tied the pail's handle connecting to her waist to pull it quickly if it floated away.

Surprisingly, she saw Xander do it first.

"Something wrong?" he asked.

With his golden hair, slowly stealing the glow from the horizon and the way he carried himself with elegance and dignity, one would know that he was a man of power. Yet, despite his trousers and sleeves rolled, a rope tied to his waist connected to the floating pail, Diana wondered why doesn't look out of place.