11 ♔ To Rule the World

In truth, Xander was done with his agenda for visiting the island—to meet with Devanti Norvillon secretly. He also checked and studied the contents of the envelope given to him that night—a list of things to be used against the royal family, the merchants with backhanded businesses for weaponry, the codes for different banks where Devanti transferred his assets that Xander can freely use.

Although he already knew most of them, even the grudges amongst the members of the king's harem and contacts for shrewd people who'd do anything for money, he appreciated Devanti's effort.

Xander has the capabilities, and it took years for him to be independent in a lot of ways. Nevertheless, a backup plan would not hurt. Just the name of the Norvillon Duke on his side was enough to amass more influence.

Yet, despite the goal achieved, he was still on the island, as per schedule that he'd be there for four days. Devanti Norvillon was more than punctual. They were supposed to meet on the third day, but his brother-in-law arrived on the first.

Now free on the third day, Xander found himself spear hunting on a low tide because if not, there won't be dinner. And he missed countless times. As the white fish swam away, he did not dare look to his left to witness Diana shake her head, and bite her lips to control a laugh.

Yet, this time, she spoke instead. "It's okay. Children have a hard time, as well." From her spear, she removed the wriggling fish half the size of her arms and placed in the deep bucket half full.

Barsewas is a fish abundant in the seas surrounding Gran Dacchia. It was so common that they were cheap and referred to as 'a pauper's meal.' Despite its bloated body, it lives in shallow waters, and yet, no matter how they swim about, Xander could not catch one.

Children. He could only frown, nowhere pleased to be compared to youngsters. If it were a battlefield, surely, he wouldn't miss. Humans could not swim away, nor were they hard to pierce. "My lady, why do I have to do this?" he finally asked.

Earlier that day, Diana personally requested him to go spearfishing and clearly stated 'only him.' He obliged to kill time and fulfill his curiosity. Yet now, he regretted the confidence.

"For memories, Your Highness. I shall engrave this day in my memory." A small giggle even escaped her mouth. But then she shrieked in surprise when the same species of fish tickled her ankle. Diana lost balance in fell on knee-deep water.

It was Xander's turn to bite his lip and suppress a laugh. He turned towards the shore, where two of his knights were alert and watched over him. He waved his hand as if to ensure them there was nothing to worry about. Diana's laughter rang, the first time he heard from her as if the wind carried it, and like ripples in the water.

He offered his hand, but then stopped midway. It was his turn to engrave everything into his memory.

Her hair was partly wet, with a few strands sticking together. The hem of her skirt tied to her knees to avoid getting soaked was undone, now dancing under the crystal water and bared her thighs. She was unaware of her position, still laughing at herself, with the sea dripping in her clothes.

The kingdom was more liberal when it comes to women's clothing. Only a few would bat an eye when showing ankles, and a woman with her bare knee would raise a few reactions.

Yet, Xander could not find the right reaction to the art in front of him—tan skin glistening against the sun, half soaked and distorted with water.

So he looked away instead and cleared his throat. Only then Diana realized, and she stood. But her thin beige dress clung to her body and shaped her like it was her skin. She turned around towards the horizon and wrung parts of her dress. Xander discreetly shifted position to cover her from the guards on the shore, who were too far away to even see the details.