19 ♔ Short Barrel Chronicles

The capital city of Gran Dacchia was located facing the vast Sydrian Ocean, which divides the island Empire of Levich and Castala Continent, where various kingdoms are located, along with Gran Dacchia.

Due to its advantageous geographical location, it is considered as the main entrance of the marine trade route to other continents except for the closed borders of the Levich Empire. One would think that Gran Dacchia is wealthy, it used to, or maybe it still is. But the wealth was kept under the pockets of the nobles and the merchants.

This was evident by the view outside Diana and Xander's carriage. Rundown stores, children begged alms, and dilapidated houses that resembled the slums, even if they were still a few minutes away from the palace. People watched the carriage, but none ran after them nor were fixated. Partly because they rode a carriage with an exterior that was parallel to the street's poverty, they also wore commoner's clothing and faded cloaks.

Diana accepted Xander's invitation to go out of the palace yesterday, in one condition, that they will not be visiting the nobles district with their shiny stores, clean and even cobbled streets, and glittering carriages. She wanted to see the real Gran Dacchia, and she was given at that.

Nevermind her confession and declaration of wanting nothing from him, her full attention, and her heart ached for the citizens. The gap between the rich and poor was as thick as the king's neck and as constricting as his clothes.

The plaza was better. Despite the scarcity of vendors and more closed shops, the rotten smell of trash and the heavy air of poverty was less noticeable, if one pretends to. Then a fight erupted before she could choose a roll of clothe she wished to make clothes for Alec in the guise that she wanted to make clothes for herself.

There were also other shoppers, lovers enjoying themselves near the fountain, although sprouting water was murky and had floating trash. Then there were children and exhausted mothers, watching from the shadows, not asking for any alms, yet as if they were.

Diana pulled out a coin from her purse to give them, but then Xander stopped her before the coin could glitter out in the open. He pulled her to a cafe, nodded to the lone man at the counter, as they entered the kitchen and exited the back door, straight to a smaller carriage. Their escort, Diana recognized as Silver Knights dressed to be coachmen, had quickly motioned for the horse to move. All the while, she was quiet at the whirlwind of circumstances but did not ask why they changed carriage.

"They'd flock on you," he said. "A coin won't suffice."

"Then do it soon," she said, somehow outraged being unable to help. He was right, a coin was not enough, and it irked her powerlessness. "The sooner you reign, the better."

She didn't notice the amusement in Xander's eyes, as she sounded like she was commanding him for rebellion. "What makes you think I'll be a good king?"

"What makes you think you won't be?"

Xander did not reply and was deep in thought. The squeaking of the carriage filled the silence. It was only minutes later, when Diana noticed they were further away from the intimidating view of the palace, getting smaller by the second.

Xander, who noticed her questioning look, explained. "A little detour before returning. We might also pick up something you like along the way."

It must have been something to do with Ysivan's inaudible mumbles to Xander before they left earlier. She nodded and closed her eyes to calm herself. She opened them minutes later when the carriage stopped. "It might be dangerous, but you are an accomplice, so might as well tell me if you saw this in your vision. Keep your cloak up."