31 ♔ Congratulations, My Lady

Diana didn't know exactly what happened after that. She heard rapid commands that echoed from far away yet, inaudible to make out the words. By the time she woke up crying from a nightmare, she was in an unfamiliar room, with the cacophony of arguing women outside, breaking bottles, and laughter.

It was still midmorning, but the familiar streets of Peduha Slums outside the window was already full of life.

Nobody told her what happened, but she could already guess her circumstances.

For killing or attempting to kill the king, she's now the enemy of the kingdom.

She expected it, but she somehow missed her room in the Silver Palace. Yet, for the king's murderer, it was the best place she could stay. Her hands were clean now, unlike in her dream, dyed in red, embracing King Augustus' corpse.

"Pamela?" A voice greeted from the door.

The girl's hand almost slipped the vase of water when the girl ran to her bedside. It has been four years, but she also never forget the face of a comrade. It was Avelyn, indecisive whether to cry or announced to whoever is there that Diana was awake.

"It's nice to see you again, Avelyn."

The woman turned to the door and screamed, "Papa, she's awake!"

Bludis, the bartender, and the doctor rushed in and thanked Diana for something she did four years ago. He promised that she was safe. Judging by the situation, Diana assumed that she's on the second floor of Bludis' bar, Short Barrel.

There was a flurry of activity in the room. She answered the old doctor's questions. No head nor body ache, no nauseous feeling, signs of aphrodisiac poisoning.

To think that she was unconscious for more than two days just from a weak aphrodisiac was baffling. She assumed it was the shock of being rained upon by the blood of her victim, that her mental state influenced her body.

Diana shrugged it off and answered more questions. He then ate a soft meal, took a bath and was informed of her status by the doctor himself.

It was in the afternoon that Xander arrived, however, not alone.

A beautiful woman stood beside him, with a genuine look of concern and all other emotions.

"Lady Therese and I have to talk first," Diana declared to Xander without meeting his gaze. Although he had heavier and more urgent things to discuss, Therese's eyes were as determined.

"About what?" he asked.

Only then, she tore away his gaze from Therese, then to Xander. "Girl talk."

"Make it quick," was all he said and left the room.

With the two ladies alone, silence reigned.

"You came together," Diana broke the quiet with the obvious statement. But the duke's daughter presence meant a lot of things.

"I forced him to. He was having a meeting with my father and a few supporters, and I was there. When I heard he'd visit you, I insisted." Therese was still frozen in the middle of the room. Every time her body angled to move closer, she would freeze.

"I see..."

Silence again. Therese was clutching her gown and biting her lip. She looked too torn that Diana stepped in.

"You have nothing to be guilty of. It won't make you a terrible person..."

Therese's eyes widened as she flinched. The question of 'How?' etched on her face.

"He... was never mine in the first place."

"I..." The duke's daughter could not find the right words.

"You came here to ask me to leave him, didn't you? Or something along with that."

In most cases, silence is a yes. Therese closed her eyes and swallowed a lump in her throat. The guilt written all over her immaculate face was a giveaway.

To how Diana knew, it was purely her own guess, not the vision. Therese's presence in her visions were few, not even after Xander became king. What she used was just simply a 'woman's intuition.'

"For you to be present at an important meeting of Xander's faction, it must mean that Hearths had chosen his side, of course, involving you."

After a deep sigh, Therese announced in an almost a whisper, "We became engaged. Xander and I."

Diana bobbed her head, taking in the news. As expected. There was no need to annul her engagement to Xander. The moment she stabbed the king, the cogs has begun moving faster.

It was in the scope of her calculations, but it still hurts. Xander will relay more information what is the current status of the two factions, yet she knew, her part is done, and she didn't even do it well.

Queen Claudette had already known and Diana was dancing to her tune.

"Do you love him?"

Therese, who was now standing at the foot of her bed, slowly sunk as if she was kneeling for forgiveness. "I'm sorry Diana... I'm sorry..."

Though in her human heart, she wanted to hate Therese, but it was hard to do so. The lady was brave to face her and tell the news. Maybe she was also moved with selfish desires, but for Xander's benefit, it must be done. Duke Hearth might be a benevolent noble, but he was ambitious as well.

Between a crown prince with a nasty personality, and the second prince known for his gentleness and growing influence, Duke Hearth would choose the latter.

Between a poor noblewoman who was once a whore, and a graceful duke's daughter, Xander would choose the latter.

It was even laughable that Diana was included in the choices. Her vision was all she had—sometimes vague and obsolete.

"I'm sorry." Therese sobbed, couldn"t even lift her head to face her. "Please know that I considered you as a friend..."

"So did I." It was her honest feelings. It pained Diana, but it was the price to pay for loving a man that she wasn't supposed to. "Congratulations, Lady Therese."

Season 1 ending next update.
...and you're not ready. 😎

Ellena Odde ❤