8 ♛ The Alcotta Isle

The chapters in the Alcotta Isles are my ultimate faves so far. You'd know why soon. Enjoy

Wherever he goes, Xander was always welcomed. Some, who were rarely not aware of the royal family's dynamic, would accept him with open arms, awe, and fear. For those who knew, mostly do the same as a farce.

Yet, it was the first time that nobody greeted him nor Lady Diana by the empty dock of the territory's main island. Everyone climbed down the ship and just walked to the manor. The rest of the crew came with them, with sacks of food traded from the capital.

He found himself carrying a sack of starch himself, like his knights, while Diana carried a basket of spices and the black jar of Michael's remains. Though his loyal men were used to him doing labor in some of their official businesses, they were mostly private and based on camaraderie.

And yet, Xander felt the sweat roll down his temple. His knights begged him not to, of course, even the Alcottans. But for some reason, Diana's "It's too heavy for you, is it, Your Highness?" riled him up.

They traversed the bridge, then buried his feet in the sand under the scorching noon sun, until they reach the shade of coconut trees that lined as a path towards the manor. Unlike the houses in the capital, the Alcotta residence was a mix of wood and red bricks. The windows and doors were of wood; all open like it had no secrets. Xander had gone as far as describe it as a humungous and beautiful cottage rather than noble's residence.

Diana, who was ahead of them, turned to him with a smile, this time genuinely. "Welcome to Alcotta Isle, Your Highness."

Diana knew that the Alcotta Manor was not as half as luxurious even against Silver Palace. What wealth it had, were slowly chipped away to pay debts and bets for gambles. The paintings were replaced with hand-drawn maps and framed fish bones. Clay flower pots replaced the antique vases from the dessert empire. Velvet and lacy curtains were taken down, and now the breeze comes and goes freely. The fading carpet had bald spots, and the floor was wood. The wallpapers were faded, and for some parts of the house, the walls were bare. A few steps of the stairs creaked too.

But it was home.

She never intended to hide the poverty from Xander. It is what it is. And surely, he was not there to enjoy luxuries, nor to witness Michael's burial and formally pass the down the title to her. Diana long knew the prince used the trip to meet a man that would help get the throne, more than she could.

In one of her visions, Xander shall meet in secret with Devanti Norvillon, the duke of the North and princess Kirien's husband. But as of now, they were still on official task.

Michael's burial was simple. The jar of his ashes was displayed for the citizens to bid their farewells. Although the people came, it was more to meet the prince and congratulate Diana.

Nobody cried for the dead baron who almost sold the manor, a few young women to slavery, and two of their ships in his years of addiction to gambling and naive investments. It was too late when Diana and the people found out back then,

In the end, Diana had to do everything and took an offer she can refuse but didn't, for thousands of gold. It was just one night, but it changed everything.

Sadly, the money wasn't enough that the debt collector took one of their newer ships, and left the territory with old Hudithe II. Michael returned almost a year later when everything was paid, and so does his gambling habits and pursue of Diana. It took a considerable effort to keep her childbirth a secret.