23 ♔ A Song for Her King

The carriage back home was quiet. After Diana explained the curse and how only women were affected, the duke asked about a cure. There is... is what the legends, but the information was rarer than the curse itself. There's no record, just word of mouth, that the Great Magician Medakaz invented the cure.

He was the same magician hired to build the gates decades ago by the previous Norvillon Duke, and was also the same magician who made other notable gates around the world. The whereabouts of the magician nor the fictitious cure was unknown. And even if they do know, the Wylola flowers have already bloomed.

It may be out of character for the Duke and even Xander to believe, but in a world of magic, it was not possible. Maybe they, too, felt the vague sense of amiss in Kirien's behavior.

"I'll meet you again. Search for my daughter and my wife in the capital. I'll return to the North first." Those were Devanti Norvillon's parting words.

Probably he wanted to confirm everything.

Xander didn't utter a word ever since, not until they were up the grand staircase of the Silver Palace, about to part ways for rest.

"Truth or not... why didn't I notice?" He finally spoke, seemingly lost. "Was I too focused on the throne to notice her burdens?"

Diana didn't answer; instead, she intertwined her hands with his and pulled him to the direction of his room.

There were no words exchanged after that, even after she pulled him to bed, amidst the exchange of awkward looks between their guards, who posted themselves outside the door.

The head maid commanded the maids not to prepare the bath until called and let the two in their own privacy.

Diana pushed Xander to bed and commanded, "Sleep."

He would have been back in his office right now to finish work for the day, yet his dull eyes bothered her, along with a darkened tone under his eyes. He was up for two nights with an hour or two of sleep, as he told her this morning, quite proudly. He is a resilient man. A day or two deprived of sleep could not break him, but it was not the body that's eating him.

"You look terrible, Your Highness."

Xander smiled as she removed his coat and unbuttoned three of his high collared shirt to at least make him breathe easier. "Are you taking advantage of me?"

"Yes," she said, frankly.

She paused when he circled his arms around her shoulders. "And here I thought you do not expect anything."

Diana stared back at him. "I don't." At the same time, she climbed up with her coat unshed and leaned in the headboard. "These feelings of mine... at least I can use this for your peace of mind, Your Highness. Wear the crown on your head, not those dark rims under your eyes."

Xander did not contradict and laid his head on her lap like a pillow. "Well, at least this time, call me by my name."

"Alexander." Calling his name was the only thing she could do. She had no right to tell him her feelings in three simple words. "Alexander..."

She must care for him, sincerely, but that's it. She must protect him until the right woman shall sit beside him. Diana would be gone by then. For this moment, he is mine alone. As she stroked his hair, Diana sang a lullaby repeatedly.

♪♪The waves of the sea they come and go,

little love, sway you slow,