Chapter 51

(Zander's POV)

I growled ferociously, slamming my fist into the punching bag in front of me, sending it flying into the wall.

"Holy sh*t!" Colt exclaimed from behind me.

I turned to face him,"Three days. It's been three days and we know nothing!"

"I know, man, but that poor bag did nothing to you," he laughed out while going over to the demolished bag, whispering soothing words to it.

I rolled my eyes at him. Colt and his childish antics. I chugged some water and sat down on the bench near me, "Something isn't right, Colt. It doesn't add up. Dylan "stumbled" back two days ago with barely any memory of what happened, yet was perfectly fine to lead the search less than an hour later. Redwood states that they have yet to catch the mole, either. How the f*ck haven't they figured it out?! Yet they STILL won't give us information about where they had taken them before they disappeared. Something's fishy, I know it."

Colt pounced back up and strode over to me. He reached out his hand while a devious smile crossed his face, "Well then, let's go find out!"

* * *

Dressed in black.

Covered in mud.

Perched in trees.

The chill of the night cut through us like knives as we hide in the trees, watching Dylan and his team of trackers head out into the dark woods alongside Redwood's northeast border. Once they were far enough away we quietly slipped down from the trees, following the small pack, making sure we were never upwind from them. Even though the mud would help cover our scents, we didn't want to chance them catching us.

A couple hours passed by with Colt and I stealthily stalking Dylan's group. We had traveled pretty far north, past White Crest and continuing into neutral territory. The group of trackers had just crossed a stream and started to head up a slight incline when Dylan stopped them.

Despite our enhanced hearing capabilities, we couldn't hear Dylan's words to his men. Some seemed to question his orders which caused a growl to erupt within our earshot. Dylan barked out something, using the Alpha voice he could muster up thanks to being Alpha-to-be. His men stilled, bowing their heads.

Dylan took off, leaving his men behind. I nodded to Colt as I took off after Dylan while he stayed behind to watch Dylan's men.

Dylan sprinted through the dense trees, determination in each stride. I soon followed him to a small clearing. I ducked behind a large tree as he slowed to a walk. A scent gradually filled my senses, foul and harsh.

Rouges.

I moved closer to the clearing he had walked into, keeping my eyes peeled for danger. Dylan moved slowly and confidently as if he hadn't picked up the scent of rouges like I had. I watched him, perplexed.

I blurred alongside the tree line that bordered the clearing, following the direction of little Braxton. I went around the curve he had followed, a few houses protruding before the far side of the clearing. A small structure was near my position in the woods, with a singular cottage-y house situated not far from it.

Dylan walked towards the buildings nearer to me than the other structures in the distance and waited. A tall, dark figure walked over from the side of the house, towards Dylan. I couldn't help but wonder why Dylan was here. Do these wolves know something? Is he trying to get information peacefully?

It looked as if the two were conversing before the unknown wolf, slightly hastily, walked through inside the house, shutting the door behind him. Dylan's silhouette seemed tense, displeased. I could hear slight growls being carried in the wind.

Suddenly Dylan shouted before storming after the man, his words causing my face to pale.

"Damian! The conversation wasn't over. We had a deal!"

* * *

I stormed into my father's office, Colt beside me. My father's eyes shot up at me, his eyebrow raising at my appearance. Colt and I had rushed over here after I learned Dylan's little secret.

"I know who betrayed Braxton and he's not going to believe it," I stated firmly.

My father's face lit up in curiosity, "Who, son?"

"Dylan."

His eyes widened, almost in disbelief, "How do you know this? That's not going to be an easy thing to convince Alpha Braxton of."

"We followed him. He was leading a group of trackers, so Colt and I followed to see where they went. We thought maybe they were hiding some lead since Braxton shut us out basically. They went way northeast, but then Dylan forced his men to stay as he trekked on. Colt stayed with his group while I followed Dylan in the shadows. He went to a small clearing with small houses and buildings, tucked away in the woods. I smelled rouges everywhere, but that's not what convinced me," I took a deep breath.

My father was listening with intrigue as I continued, "I thought maybe he was just seeing if they knew anything when I saw him talk to some wolf outside. I couldn't hear anything until the end. Whatever the two had conversed about had made Dylan furious. He shouted and ran after the rouge."

I looked at my father with serious eyes so that he could see I was telling the truth, "Father, he called the rouge Damian."

His eyes widened, "The last thing that Dylan shouted that I could hear was him yelling Damian's name, saying to finish their conversation. They had some deal out in place that it seems like Damian is now backing out of his side on."

My father smirked, "Well, well, well...and people say I'm wicked. At least I'm not a traitor to the rouges."

"Dad! What should we do? We need to see if Kaileigh and Sam are there," I interrupted.

"I'll speak to the elders. Until then, we wait until Dylan returns. Inform the warriors to be prepared to leave with short notice; once young Braxton is back, you will lead us to where you saw him go. Now go clean up and rest," my father announced to me.

I laid on my bed, unable to sleep. I looked out my window, watching the swirls of pink and yellow paint the morning sky. The bright green grass sparkled with dewdrops.

Soon the earth will be painted scarlet red, tainted with blood.

Please vote and comment!
Thank you!
Follow me for more!