Chapter 18

I woke up to an empty bed, not a normal occurrence lately. I sighed in relief and got up to take a shower. I was relaxing in the shower when an arm grabbed me from behind and a face was in the crook of my neck.

"If only I could take you right here, right now," Axel purred into my ear while nipping at my neck. He turned me around and stared down at me, "I accepted this for the position at first, but I am enjoying you. Once you are marked, we can have some real fun because you won't be able to resist me anymore."

Axel then took his leave. I scrubbed my body even more and just stood in the shower for a while, lost in thought.

Despite Axel disturbing my shower, I had woken up today with a smile on my face. Why? Because Damian was coming back today! I was so excited; words could not describe how I felt.

Damian had ended up being gone weeks longer than he was supposed to be. It was already almost mid-September now. I was so relieved to see him. I couldn't stand being alone here anymore.

Random occurrences with Axel had continued to take place, always going about the same. I felt so dirty. I felt so miserable. Damian didn't even know what's been happening. It wasn't something I could text him about. I knew he would've probably come straight back and tried to do something, but there's nothing he could've done, plus he seemed to be busy with something really important; way more important than dealing with something I cannot escape.

This day couldn't go by quick enough. Minutes seemed like hours. I was just really hoping that Axel wouldn't try to do anything tonight because I was planning to sneak out to see Damian. I crossed my fingers and prayed to the moon goddess to give me this chance.

I went outside and just watched the pups run around. Kids were playing and teens were shifting, running around as their wolves. I sighed; I wished I could shift and join them. I haven't even seen my wolf in months. The last time was when I shifted in my room just to remember what I looked like again. When I take over as Luna, I am shifting more. I miss it dearly.

Tic. Toc. Tic. Toc.

Finally, hours later, I could smell the food signaling that dinner was ready. My stomach growled as I skipped towards the dining hall. I went and sat next to my mother and father, with Axel beside me.

"Axel," my father spoke, "I need you to take the new shifters and work with them tonight. I noticed them today and they take far too long to adjust to their wolves. Take them into the indoor courts and practice with them. Have them bring whatever they need since it'll probably take all night. Take whoever you want out of your patrol to help as well."

Omg! Yes, yes! That means I can go see Damian without worry. I mentally stick my tongue out at Axel and thank the moon goddess.

Axel just nodded and, I assume, mind-linked whoever he was getting to help him as his eyes had hazed over. Axel glanced at me, trying to gauge my reaction, but I remained focused on my food.

'Behave yourself tonight, Kaileigh.' Said Axel through the mind-link.

I rolled my eyes.

'Don't I always? I'm just going to probably read and go to bed. Get some rest for once,' I scoffed through the mind link back at him.

Axel narrowed his eyes at me and continued eating.

A couple hours after dinner had finished, my father sent off Axel, his patrol members, and the new shifters. It was now almost midnight, so I was currently tiptoeing out of the pack house. Once I made it safely out, I took off in a quiet sprint across the courtyard and through the woods to my cave.