runes

Harry was bursting with his new secret for nearly a week, yet the moment he would tell her was carefully calculated and planned. So there he sat, being fed strips of bacon by Ginny. The warm, flavorful grease of the meat dribbled down his chin as he grabbed a thin paper napkin to wipe it up with. Strangely enough, Harry's arm felt a little cold, as if the breeze inside the hall were landing on bare skin. Not now. Ginny pulled his wrist to her gently. "Erm," he grinned sheepishly. "Surprise," She said nothing as she led him outside the Great Hall as to not make a scene. Her pale skin blushed the shade of her Weasley hair.

      "So, who'd you get?" She interrogated. Contemplating whether or not he should be honest, Harry opened his mouth and let his instincts do the talking.

      "Malfoy. Draco Malfoy. Don't tell a soul." Her face fell, tears forming and releasing rapidly.

      "I thought you being a late bloomer meant-"

      "I know," he cupped her cheek in his hand. "But if the universe says we can help each other, I need to listen." Ginny's softened expression hardened.

      "No, you don't." Her fingers moved his hand off of her jaw roughly. "You can ignore it. We can still make this work!"

      "Ginny, we both have our best matches, and they aren't each other." Harry used her real name, adding to the callousness of the mood. "If you can't understand that, then there's no need to be together at all." He felt the tears in the corners of his eyes.

      "So, you don't need me."

      "I guess I don't," she stormed off, a loud sob escaping her lips. It frightened Harry deeply, the fact that he was able to cut her off so easily.

.:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:.

      "What'd you say?" Ron rubbed Harry's back lightly.

      "I told her that if she couldn't respect our separate ways, then there would be no reason to be together."

      "She's completely gone insane,"

      "At least she was faithful when I told her not to blab about it.

      "Well, d'you wanna talk about it or do you need to be alone?"

     "I think I need some time alone," Harry made his way up the stone steps to the eighth-year dorm, drawing the thick ruby-colored curtains all the way around the bed,

      "Hey, congrats, Harry!"

      "Dean, I'm really not in the mood right now."

      "No, really." Dean peeked inside. "You had the courage to do it,"

      "What's that supposed to mean?"

      "You'll have to watch your back, okay?" He sat down next to him. "She seems silent now but she'll be ready to strike sooner or later."

      "That's quite demonizing, isn't it?"

      "Just ask Corner."

.:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:.

A/N

I am by no means a Ginny-hater. I love her, really. For the purpose of the story's tension, we must build a character arc for her to complete the conflict-resolution elements of the story. At the very least I haven't included the shell of a character that was Movie-Ginny. Thank you.